Options

Going to the Chicago Auto Show. Tips to reduce weight.

jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Technique
Since I am going to be walking quite a bit, and in addition taking notes for a major car web forum, I would like some advice to reduce the burden of having to haul around items I do not need.

I will be taking the usual 3/4 shots, plus detailed shots of the exterior or interior of the vehicle (grille, headlights, dash bezels, etc), plus shots of the models.

-should I take my flash? Will the ambient lighting be enough?

-Which lenses should I haul with me? Lenses I have, all Nikkor:
-18-55
-55-200
-50mm prime 1.8
-35-70mm
Just call me Jay.
My photo gallery.
O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Hmmm. Maybe this is in the wrong section.
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    Jay,

If it's anything like the National Hardware Show at McCormick Place, you have your work cut out for you.

The lighting is very high and color balance is a problem. A flash is not just recommended, it's almost a necessity. The problem is direct flash on shiny surfaces is terribly unflattering. (Not that you would like it for the models either.) Use a diffuser that doesn't need ceiling bounce. I recommend a "scoop" for this work. Off camera flash would allow better placement. You might want (need) an assistant to help with the lighting. In that case you might want a couple of lights for best results. For sure shoot RAW because you will encounter lights of mixed balance.

Unless you are able to get up high, the number of people (obstacles) at the show makes short lenses preferable.

You really should also use fast lenses in case you need to use ambient light as well as for shallow DOF to reduce background distractions. The 50mm, f1.8 Nikon is splendid, but that won't give you much flexibility. Take the "kit" lens as well for some options.

Take the 55-200mm "just-in-case", but I doubt you need it.

Too bad you couldn't go during the "Media Preview".

Good luck and keep us posted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Jay,

Based on my experience, I'd recommend taking the 18-55 and flash for sure. You'll definitely need the wide angle coverage to be close enough to your subject and avoid having people walking into your shot. There aren't anything at an auto show I can think of that'll need the reach longer than 55mm. You just need to battle the crowd to get closer. Of course shoot RAW for post processing flexibility.

I did the whole LA auto show with the Canon 30D and EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The coverage of the 24mm on a 1.6 crop factor body was a bit limiting in some situation where the crowd was too close. I even brought along the 70-200 lens but never even touched it or needed it. For flash diffusion I used the home-made better bounce card. Here's my gallery of the LA auto show if you're interested.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    don't bother with telephoto, unless you are at a car show with no other people.
    I went with 18-55 and wished I had a wider lens in some cases.
    As for flash, don't bother with that unless you have a diffuser.
    Ceilings are normally high, and lighting at stalls is tricky.
    Be prepared to crank up the ISO to 1600 or above. If you have a IS lens or can get one it will be worth it.
    You can check out my gallery here
    http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/4196468_SnHb3#245249148
    I posted a thread here
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82244
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Thank you for the replies!

SO yes, I found the telephoto to be virtually worthless. I used the 18-55, and the flash I had just tilted forward at a 15-20 degree angle.

Lighting was very uneven, some displays were well lit, others were virtually caves. Ford and GM had by far the best light displays, MINI and of all cars, Porsche (yeah, Porsche! headscratch.gif) the worst lighting.

Oh, and stupid me, I left the ISO on auto...duh! A few pictures came out, well you guessed it, grainy.
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Were you shooting for Jalopnik, Jay? mwink.gif I'd love to see what you got.

ziggy53, what is this "scoop" diffuser of which you speak?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited February 13, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    ... ziggy53, what is this "scoop" diffuser of which you speak?

Here is what I patterned mine after:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

We have a DGrinner selling them as well:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80764

... and some examples here:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=653072&postcount=14

It is similar to light from a very small softbox, but it is very lightweight and attaches to many different small flashes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    Were you shooting for Jalopnik, Jay? mwink.gif I'd love to see what you got.

For Final Gear, actually. Some turned out great, some were....horrendous. Mostly 3/4 shots; I gave being creative, it would have taken me 10-12 hours to do what I wanted.
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    For Final Gear, actually. Some turned out great, some were....horrendous. Mostly 3/4 shots; I gave being creative, it would have taken me 10-12 hours to do what I wanted.
    Better than nothing! :) Are they up on FG, yet?

Final Gear is one-stop shopping for Top Gear. I don't know what I'd do without them! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    Im impressed you know of FG! They will be up this weekend.

I hope.
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    Im impressed you know of FG!
    How else is this Yank gonna watch Top Gear? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Three cheers for Final gear!
    I am in India, and its a must visit website for all auto fans here.
    I heard a new US top gear show is starting this june, but without the three clowns, it won't be the same.