Lps: Studio Shots...i Understand Why

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited February 11, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I understand why some folks choose to do studio-type shots for these contests. :rolleyes

I had numerous ideas in my mind for what I would like to shoot for the LPS. Very specific, definite directions to go in which I managed to come up with in the first 2 days of the contest. Because we had been having so much inclement weather lately, I decided not to fight it... but embrace it. :D Many of my ideas revolved around rain, clouds or gloomy conditions. So, of course, we are now experiencing sunny, warm conditions. No clouds, no rain. Who asked for all this sunshine? :dunno Trash those ideas.

But...........I had some back-up plans! :barb A planned photo-session with a pretty, model-ish girl for a Valentine's Day portrait for her bf. Thought I could work in several ideas of my own at the same time I was shooting what she wanted. Well, she's suddenly too busy until after Valentine's Day and has postponed our session. Poor boyfriend. Scratch several ideas there.

Getting desperate. I decided if nothing was working by today (which it isn't) I would cajole or $$$ bribe my son into doing some experimental, urban portraits. Have (again) quite a few ideas I would like to try and he is very photogenic (but doesn't like having his picture taken). Thursday he caught a virus and is not improving. Today he is house-bound. He rarely gets this sick and worry-wart mother that I am, I am now more worried about him than I am about getting the shot.

So while I sit here with a cold compress wrapped around my hand (did I mention I burned several fingers this morning grabbing a hot dish from the microwave?) I will contemplate the options left to me.

Studio (don't think my skills are up to that - that's more Stephen's arena). But I am beginning to understand how nice it would be to eliminate many of the variables that are out of your control in other types of photography, such as weather, location and people. Plus you control the light....if you're good at it. :huh

Landscape.....well, we don't have the views here that Annna has. I'm still looking for any view besides the ocean or at least a clear shot of the mountains.

Children.....well, I do have access (unless everyone is sick with a cold or something) to numerous children. However, I was trying to avoid that as so many express the opinion of not liking children photos. (But that may be what I'll end up doing, so forgive me).

I like urban and gritty, crusty, old buildings like Schmoo shoots, but So. Cal. just doesn't have much of that and what is around is fenced off. At my age I'm not likely to be climbing anytime soon. :rutt Besides, I really stink at landscapes.

So that kind of leaves me with street photography, which I love, love, love to view but haven't done much of myself. Could I compete with Andy? Probably not! :lol3

So I plan to go out later when the good light makes an appearance and see what I can find. I really wanted a planned (controlled) shot this time and I was pretty pleased with myself for coming up with so many ideas. Made me feel pretty smug early in the week. But now it looks like it's not going to happen. Maybe I'll get lucky. :wink (Good luck to you, too!) :saurora

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Well, Susan, there is no use to cry over the old buildings of the East Coast or the snowy peaks of Utah. I hear your pain about the weather (nice to live in - bad to shoot), but hey, let's looks at what we do have, and others don't:
    - we have Pacific right here (surf's up?;-),
    - we have few ski resots all in less than 3 hours of driving
    - we have the high desert and salt lakes of Mojave, also only 2-3 hours away...
    - and if 5-7 hours drive is OK, you can have Mono Lake, or Yosemite, or Death Valley..
    Come on, girl, stop whining and start shooting :-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 9, 2008
    Sorry to have brought so much pain on to so many of you with this contest. lol3.gif

(now listen to Nikolai!)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    do you know how many shots you would have now if you had pushed the shutter and not the keyboard eek7.gifwings.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    jwear wrote:
    do you know how many shots you would have now if you had pushed the shutter and not the keyboard eek7.gifwings.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Susan, relax. You'll come up with another winner. I'm sure! clap.gif

Regarding landscapes, how far are you from the desert? There has to be a sunrise or sunset shot just waiting for you there.

You been having inclement weather? How about one of those moody sky shots? :D
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Susan, the inclement weather is gone... now all we're left with is 80 degree heat in the middle of winter... mwink.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I hear ya! I'm confident you'll make an awesome showing!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341