Butterfly-newbie

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited February 10, 2008 in Holy Macro
I took this last summer in Maine with my Kodak point and shoot. I just got my first digital SLR (Rebel xTi) in December and I can't wait for summer. I love this site, I've been lurking for a while. I don't have a big budget but based on advise from this forum I think I'm going to buy the Kenko tubes (from Hong Kong so they fit my EF-S lens) to try and take some Macro shots. Thanks for all the tips.

241126157_X32yG-M.jpg

Stephanie

Comments

• matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    very nice composition, I like it thumb.gif
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I took this last summer in Maine with my Kodak point and shoot. I just got my first digital SLR (Rebel xTi) in December and I can't wait for summer. I love this site, I've been lurking for a while. I don't have a big budget but based on advise from this forum I think I'm going to buy the Kenko tubes (from Hong Kong so they fit my EF-S lens) to try and take some Macro shots. Thanks for all the tips.

Stephanie

This is a lovely shot Stephanie.
    I'm super impressed with the flower the butterfly is sitting on eek7.gif
    How pretty is that plant iloveyou.gif they way it hangs with its white clusters.

You should have a heap of fun with the Kenkos when you get them.
    Can't wait to see how you go.

Enjoy the forums Stephanie, glad you've chose to join us here at Dgrin thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I like it. Personally, I think the flowers are more interesting than the butterfly.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Lovely shotclap.gif the white flower sets of the dark butterfly beautifully.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Lovely shot :)

One big difference you will notice between the P&S and a DSLR at macro magnifications is the difference in apparent DOF.

Brian V.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Advice regarding tubes + EF-S
    Another very new poster here, who was not too long ago in pretty much the exact same situation, with a bit of advice regarding the extension tubes:

I think you may find that the tubes, even just a 12mm tube, may cause an EF-S zoom to focus extremely close, and probably too close.

A year ago I did a backyard modification of the Kenko EF tubes to fit EF-S (pretty simple with a dremel or file, actually) and found that my 17-85 actually focussed on the dust on the UV filter (!!!) with just 12mm of extension attached (@85mm). I had been modifying the tubes for a friend, who was using the EF-S 18-55, and she eventually went for the 50 f1.8 instead, for similar reasons.

I know it never helps to add things to the shopping list, but the Canon 50 1.8 is dirt cheap new, cheaper used (often less than the tubes, actually), and has a working distance of 3-4 cm w/68mm of extension, which is just enough for some extreme macro without constantly banging it against the subject. The math and optics of all this escapes me, but I think it must have something to do with the zoom design of these lenses that makes them behave differently with extension tubes. You might consider a close-up filter if you want to stick with the same lens.

I would have to say, however, that the 50 + tubes is the most satisfying learning curve I can remember!

And with all this technical nonsense out of the way, my compliments on the shot!! The flower gently tapering off is beautiful!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    I know it never helps to add things to the shopping list, but the Canon 50 1.8 is dirt cheap new, cheaper used (often less than the tubes, actually), and has a working distance of 3-4 cm w/68mm of extension, which is just enough for some extreme macro without constantly banging it against the subject. The math and optics of all this escapes me, but I think it must have something to do with the zoom design of these lenses that makes them behave differently with extension tubes. You might consider a close-up filter if you want to stick with the same lens.
    I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly. Your recommendation is to get the EF 50mm 1.8 and also the Kenko extension tubes for this EF lens (not the special EF-S ones from Hong Kong). If so I can do that, I would really like the 50mm 1.8 lens anyway and I've seen that it is not that expensive. Thanks.

Stephanie
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I too really enjoy this shot! Well done thumb.gifclap.gif
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly. Your recommendation is to get the EF 50mm 1.8 and also the Kenko extension tubes for this EF lens (not the special EF-S ones from Hong Kong). If so I can do that, I would really like the 50mm 1.8 lens anyway and I've seen that it is not that expensive. Thanks.

Stephanie
    You've got it!

The 50f1.8 and Kenko tubes are what I've had great experiences with, I doubt there's anything wrong with the tubes from Hong-Kong, convenience might be the only point against them, if that's an issue.

And yes, the 50f1.8 is a very fun lens to have, and for a lot more than macro too:

244779592_MGiaV-M.jpg

244590906_PXGeL-M.jpg