Options

My no good very bad days...

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited February 10, 2008 in Journeys
[Note: There are non-car pictures lower down]

2007 did not end well for me, and 2008 did not get any better. I'm lucky enough to have a job where we get the week between Christmas and New Year's completely off. Unfortunately, I decided to go in to work one of those days to save some vacation time.

At an intersection I've been through hundreds of times, I completely zoned out. Miata, meet Mercedes, Mercedes, meet Miata.

239417411_i4GKv-L.jpg

I like how it looks like it's sneering at me. "How could you be so stupid!!"

252610642_XXMv8-L.jpg

Reminds me of Billy Idol.

239417389_pFXqk-L.jpg

Thankfully, no one was hurt. I wasn't going very fast, but when you have a low car with an aluminum hood, the damage adds up quickly!

239584013_iDQRh-L.jpg

Mechanically, the car was still in great shape. I was able to drive away with nothing leaking. So I took it to the insurance recommended auto body shop. Maybe that was a bad idea? The repair estimate came to about $4500!!!!

This is a 1995 Mazda Miata M-edition. It's a Miata, of which there are 100's of thousands, but it's a special Miata (especially to me!). The wheels and the rear end (LSD) are probably worth a couple grand alone..... but to the insurance estimators, it was a total loss! NOOOOOooooo!

239584138_wjfbh-L.jpg

I was crushed... I was going to lose my car for a momentary lapse of reason, a broken hood, and a bumper. That was pretty much the extent of the damage. I'd chosen a good repair shop, obviously too good!

We'll leave my poor Miata there for a little while...

Next on the agenda, skiing! It dumped a lot of snow in the California mountains at the beginning of January. So me and a couple of friends from work decided it would be great to play hooky one day and take advantage of the conditions.

243774971_ABJmk-L.jpg

It was a beautiful day.

243775019_XvhPq-L.jpg

The snow was perfect.

243775282_K4WcY-L.jpg

We were all having a blast... (me on the right)

Then... on a slope I'd been down minutes before...

243775660_NHDqX-L.jpg

Ouch! I was making a turn, caught an edge, went head over heels (I think), and smashed into the nice hard embankment... I felt an enormous impact near my head, and slid to a stop. I looked forlornly back up the hill at one ski and my sunglasses and thought there was no way I could crawl back up there.

As I decided on what I should do, I felt a great pain near my neck. Thankfully, at this point a nice girl (I don't think I ever got her name) from Cal State Northridge stopped and talked to me while I decided if she should call ski patrol. I quickly decided yes, after I realized it *really* hurt to move my right arm.

243775787_z5Dvb-L.jpg

My friends had gone in front of me and they were waiting near the next lift. Waiting for too long.... they (correctly) had a baaaaad feeling. I got a call on my cel and told them ski patrol was on the way. They hooked the next lift up to come and follow me back down.

After a quick assessment from the nice ski patrol guy, he said I obviously had a broken collarbone. So he loaded me up on the sled for the journey down.

In order to keep my mind of the impending pain... I decided I should keep the camera out, so here a couple of shots going down the hill (and I am not left-handed).

243775793_RUxJu-L.jpg

The ride was actually a lot smoother than I expected. My friends said he made a huge snowplow in front of me to smooth out the snow.

243775855_C7MXK-L.jpg

I made it safely to the bottom and only had to stop him once because my shoulder started to really throb. After a quick respite at lodge's first aid station, my friends shuttled me off to the emergency room.

After some X-rays, lunch, and vicadin, I was feeling surprisely good! No pain unless I moved my arm incorrectly. To stop that from happening, I was in a shoulder immobilization sling.

No need to waste a perfectly good day... back to the slopes. I hung out at the lodge sipping (non-alcoholic) drinks and eating snacks, while my friends finished out the day.

243779222_MkP6M-L.jpg

I amused myself trying to take pictures left-handed, most of which with the expected results (no photos, you don't think I saved the bad ones, right?!).

Here's my artistic snow bunny attempt:

243774540_Czyac-L.jpg

And one for my son, the construction equipment nut:

243774863_EQahL-L.jpg

Back to reality. My car was still totalled! I pleaded with the insurance adjuster about my car being special and all he heard was blah blah blah, $4500. Thankfully, the shop owner "knew a guy" at my insurance company for cases where the owner really wanted it fixed and the car was worth it.

So I called him up, and the next day, they agreed to fix it! Wow, that was easy... the other adjuster also called me, and I had to resist doing a happy dance on the phone over his previous objections.

Congratulations, you've made it to the end... My car is now fixed (piccies a bit later) and it's only in the last couple of weeks I've been able to do things like drive (stick shift), and type for longer periods of time. I can finally hold up my SLR successfully, so I've taken a few shots.

For my next act, which I hope goes much more smoothly, my wife is having a baby on Tuesday!

Cheers! I hope all your Journeys are better than this one. :D
Chris

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Wow! What a ride! Glad you're OK, the car is fixed and a baby on the way! Congratulations! Your pics going down the mountain are pretty cool.

In that first pic, there is another car in that garage. From the little bit that shows, it looks like a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia. Is that right?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Year of the rat started last Thursday, 2/7. Best wishes on this lunar new year.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 9, 2008
    Or you could have done what one of my Austin co-workers did to his Miata.
    Put a 5 liter Mustang motor in it :)

Glad to hear you got the car fixed up. I do hope your shoulder's healed too.

Oh, and my best to you and Joy!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    In that first pic, there is another car in that garage. From the little bit that shows, it looks like a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia. Is that right?

Thanks Elaine... yep, that's a '69 Ghia next to my car. It's Grandma's, and hasn't been driven in over a year. If it was a convertible, I'd have pushed harder for the keys. :cool
    Chris
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Objects as special as they may be can be repaired or replaced.
    Health is another matter, but glad to hear your broken bone healed.

I try to take it in perspective. Worst days for most of us insn't that bad when you consider how some are surviving in Kenya and many other parts of the world.

I know many others who are very sick right now and to be healthy, have food in my belly, nice weather, a nice camera or three, bag full of lenses, and a place to sleep is a blessing in deed.

I know you'll take it in stride. Look how many things you have to be thankful for. A wife, son, nice camera, home, nice job.

Ah life is good. and it's good to be alive. :)
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    If you hung with your buds from LAShooters ... none of this would have happened.

Gary

PS- Sorry man ... I'd going with that Year of the Rat thing ... which leaves you with about 360+ days of doom.
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Good sighting!
    Chris, Feel better - you'll be sleeping well with the Vicodin! and at least you can hold the new baby!
    Elaine wrote:

ELaine - I thought you were looking at the Mini Cooper - but you are right - a Ghia! I had a VW Convertible an dmy friend had a ghia - they did not come in that putrid green.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Thanks Elaine... yep, that's a '69 Ghia next to my car. It's Grandma's, and hasn't been driven in over a year. If it was a convertible, I'd have pushed harder for the keys. :cool

My first car (when I was 16) was a '70 Ghia. My dad "remodeled" it for me with a basically new interior and a great paint job...Red Pearl...looked white but sparkled red when the sun shone on it. It was a fun car and I seem to have Ghia radar and love spotting them! I've often wished that, like the Beetle, they would remake the Ghia. :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Year of the rat started last Thursday, 2/7. Best wishes on this lunar new year.
    I hear that 8 is a nice lucky year. Too bad I'm not superstitious! mwink.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    Put a 5 liter Mustang motor in it :)
    Thanks, Ian... I think I've proven that I get into enough trouble with only 140 horses!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Ah life is good. and it's good to be alive. :)
    No doubt, Tom. I'm thankful for the "things" I have, like good health/car insurance. I didn't have to sweat the repair bills or doctor co-pays like so many would in our country. Still, nothing can replace family.
    Seefutlung wrote:
    If you hung with your buds from LAShooters ... none of this would have happened.
    Heh, yep. It serves me right... going skiing insted of shooting!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Chris, Feel better - you'll be sleeping well with the Vicodin! and at least you can hold the new baby!
    Thanks, Kathy. No more vicodin for me (well, when I'm not in severe pain)! Makes me too groggy. And Yep, I should be able to handle an ~8lb baby, thankfully! It's the 35lb 2-year-old that's still a bit rough!
    Elaine wrote:
    I've often wished that, like the Beetle, they would remake the Ghia.
    Yeah, somehow we always long for that first car. Mine was a 1988 Honda CRX. Even though my Miata is gobs more fun, I still look for Sale signs every time I see one.
    Chris