the new Tamron 70-200 2.8

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Cameras
I've found it on Amazon and Adorama ($700), but not B&H yet. I know it's new, but I was also hoping to find some sort of review out. If anyone has seen info, please share! :D
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I've found it on Amazon and Adorama ($700), but not B&H yet. I know it's new, but I was also hoping to find some sort of review out. If anyone has seen info, please share! :D
    This is all I could find (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0802/08020701tamron70200.asp)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    This lens is stated to come out in March of 2008 for Canon mount and later for all other mounts.

There has been no preview images that I've come across, just technical details.

Compared to the other third party 70-200mm f2.8 from Sigma, it's lighter, has a closer min. focus distance for a bigger 1:3.1 vs 1:3.5 magnification, is close to 1/2 lb lighter.

Most Tamron's SP Di class lenses have been optically very good and I don't think a 70-200mm range zoom is optically challenging to make, so I expect the optics to be on par with other similar lenses if maybe not better since this is a brand new design.

Now for the bad news. Tamron's are lighter b/c they use plastics in the barrel, and they do feel cheaper/less sturdy than those from Canon/Nikon/Sigma EX line/Tokina IMO. Second, they tend to use older AF design, so those tended to be noisier and often slower than the latest USM/SSM/HSM AF motors used by Canon/Nikon/Sigma. Those you can just MF any time. With the Tamron, you have to pull the MF ring back to focus and then push it forward to AF again. This may or may not be a factor, depending on your shooting needs.

Good luck
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    i'd assume that this lens should have better optics than their last generation 70-210mm f/2.8 lens; which i have and use on a regular basis. if it is anything like the previous generation optics, it will not be particularly sharp but will offer up overall good-very good IQ, good center sharpness, and good bokeh. the tamron 70-210mm f/2.8 is built like a tank and is quite heavy with its mix of metal and plastic construction. unfortunately it does not have vibration reduction, internal focusing and suffers from a moving focusing ring. however if you're looking for a tele lens in this zoom range without breaking the bank, i think the new tamron 70-200mm (and old 70-210mm) and can make do without vibration reduction, this may be what many are looking for.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • ddkphotosddkphotos Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    can't wait
    I'm hoping we'll see some real reviews about this lens. Please let us know if you see any!
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Just wondering if there have been any updates on this lens? I'm really anxious to get my hands on one and its almost May already.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    It's out, at a Canon forum, those who bought it seem happy with it.
    I've not seen any formal tests on it.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Based on what I saw on Dpreviews Canon forums, and my own experience with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, I went aead and preordered the Nikon version last week. I've been hearing that it will ship sometime in May.
  • keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    The lack of USM/HSM/etc is enough reason for me not to buy one, even if I was looking. I own the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro which can also be bought for around $700....and it DOES have HSM.

I am not worried about optical quality of the Tamron, but this focal length really needs a faster AF since it's often used for sports.
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com