Please help, I can't make up my mind

buggymamabuggymama Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 23, 2004 in Cameras
Hello, I am new here. I am shopping around for a new digital camera. I would like to stay under $200. My old one (rca cds1005) isn't working anymore. I don't plan on doing a lot of printing of pictures, just computer pics. I sell on e bay and have some small items that need a close-up picture. I was looking for a 2-3 mp camera with optical zoom. My husband wants one with video and sound. I was looking at the HP 733 photosmart, but I haven't found any reviews on it. I wasn't able to really check it out in person, because walmart doesn't change the batteries in their cameras, and I don't live near another camera retailer.
Can anyone tell me a bit about this camera, or suggest another camera? What do you think about the Fuji A205 - Fuji A210? (although it doesn't have sound)

Thank you much!

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Hi buggy wave.gif

Total Canon bias here... you can get a refurbished Canon A70 for less than $200 from a respected online dealer, Adorama. Here's the link. Or you could go $50 over your budget for a brand new one from the most trusted online photography retailer, B&H. Here's that link.

I had my hands on the A70 today and it's a terrific camera for the money. Total manual control if you want it, excellent picture quality, able to make movies up to 3 minutes (!) It will also do a better job of focusing in low light situations, something that owners have said is a problem for the HP 733.

Alternatively, you could stay within your budget and get the A70's little brother, the A60. It has 2 megapixels, but virtually the same features. It's $175 from B&H. It too takes 3 minute movies. Here's a link to a review at Steve's Digicams, a rather good site.

Both the Canon A60 and A70 meet your specifications, and are very highly regarded, for both performance and quality.

My other bias is against buying a camera from any company that isn't a traditional camera company. Sony is the exception. The brands that immediately come to mind are Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta. There's a lot of competition in the entry level category, so you should be able to get something good.

Good luck!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au