The people I work with.

jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited February 11, 2008 in People
I work in the parts department of an automotive dealership, and I have been bringing my camera to work lately because I am doing before and after photos for the company remodeling of the building, my first photo assignment.

It is very monotonous, and I am keeping to just straight shooting, no fancy stuff. But, there are some willing subjects there who posed for me. They ain't pretty, but are interesting to look at.

And yes, I know about photo #1, but it was spontaneous, not set up at all. He literally shoved that baseball into my lens. :rofl
249959134_dmTho-XL.jpg
249959141_Tm24J-XL.jpg
250943919_FNEbX-XL.jpg
252240377_giXPF-XL.jpg
251650681_BXPev-XL.jpg
Just call me Jay.
My photo gallery.
O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I like them all, especially the first! :D
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    Portraits don't have to be pretty, real is much better. Yours have heaps of real, I dig them all, even the last with really good use of shallow depth nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I'm so glad they are willing to pose for you because I love what you've done with them. I'm drawn to 2 and I like the 4 and the DOF on the last one.

PS: I drive myself "a Nissan"!! :)
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • spinfirespinfire Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I like all of these, particularly the second. You've done a really good job capturing the character and emotion of people, which is great. And the Black and White conversion is excellent.

I don't like the first but since it was spontaneous what are you gonna do? :)

Out of curiousity, how did you light these?
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5.
    Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Custom Brackets Flash Bracket. 2x AlienBees AB800, ABR800.
    http://spinfire.smugmug.com/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Portraits don't have to be pretty, real is much better. Yours have heaps of real, I dig them all, even the last with really good use of shallow depth nod.gif
    +1
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Thank you everyone! Jen, I hope you have many happy miles with your Nissan. :)
    spinfire wrote:
    Out of curiosity, how did you light these?

All were lighted by a combination of overhead fluorescent lights and a hot shoe flash.

#1, the flash was off, I had just took the camera off a tripod, exposure was 1/60th.

#2, the flash was pointed straight up, reflecting off the ceiling tiles.

#3, flash was off but since the camera was mounted on a tripod, I had him hold still.

#4, spontaneous shot, flash was the on board flash. Took a lot of PP to make it look good. :cry

#5, I pointed the flash at a glass window on a door; I was trying to get bounced light over his head to to make him look more "angelic", since his name is Angel (that is what the tattoo say, too).
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
    O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.