What happened to the new 5d, MarkII?

eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in Cameras
Everything I heard/read online said that a new 5d was coming at the PMA. Since nothing was announced are people expecting that the Mark II will come in August? Was anything except the XSi announced?

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    eichert12 wrote:
    Everything I heard/read online said that a new 5d was coming at the PMA. Since nothing was announced are people expecting that the Mark II will come in August? Was anything except the XSi announced?

Rumors are only rumors after all.

I suspect that all the fervor about the autofocus problems related to the Canon 1D MKIII caused some projects to get backed up in the Canon R&D department. I'll bet, (but this is just a "rumor" you can start), that the next iteration in the 5D lineup will be released in 2-3 months.

Then again, ... ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    If Canon didn't say it, it's just a rumor.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    They saw the D3 and went back to the drawing board mwink.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I was a bit surprised as the oldest body, the 5D, wasn't replaced either.
    I saw an interview with Chuck Westfall, Cutomer Relations chief with Canon USA, at the PMA and he stated that as long as there is no compention for a FF sensor body at the 5D's price point that they are not in a hurry to replace it. I'm expecting it to be replaced in August now, but it's just a guess. But there really is no other body to replace. The 40D was released last August and the 1D/1DsMIII were just recently released as well. I don't expect those to be replaced for at least 2 years if not more.

So maybe if the 5D and the XTi were both replaced this month, Canon may not have had a new body to announce in August.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Everything you read was speculation & wishful thinking on the part of consumers. Canon never even hinted at such a product. Besides, is the 5D suddenly broken or something? ne_nau.gif I don't see how it can suddenly be less capable than before regardless of what else is on the market.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 11, 2008
    ... Besides, is the 5D suddenly broken or something? ne_nau.gif I don't see how it can suddenly be less capable than before regardless of what else is on the market.
    15524779-Ti.gif At current prices the Canon 5D is a tremendous value for anyone that needs it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    zigzag wrote:
    They saw the D3 and went back to the drawing board mwink.gif

Thats (my) wishful thinking. I expect only minor feature bumps for
    the 5D successor and the one of the 40D this and next year. Compared
    to entry level DSLR there are only few people who buy prosumer or
    pro cameras (40D,5D,D300 etc.). There is no need for Canon to
    trumph over the current Nikon offers, because Canon is doing just fine
    selling large quantities of consumer cameras.

While we're at it Canon, I'd like to see a 24-70/2.8L IS or a 400/5.6L IS
    and dual CF slot and Lens Micro Adjustmend in all XXD cameras. Thanks so much. thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Could it possibly be that "everything we've read" was not from Canon?

We call them rumours, but really it's just gossip.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I have a few simple wishes... :D

1) Full frame (naturally)

2) 15mpix (not more, for my high-iso wishes, this is more than enough).

3) 20x30 printable iso3200

4) 8fps

5) olympus style weather sealing (the kind you can use in your bathtub while the shower is on).

6) In-camera IS (yeah, I know.. won't happen, but still a wish).

7) built in grip.

8) The good, ol' canon functionality when it comes to ergonomics and menus wings.gif

9) Dynamic range magic

10) 70 Af-points with preprogrammable functions

11) wi-fi

12) 2-3-4-5-6 shot bracketing.

Well, that is about it.. :) Simple huh? :P
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    my wishlist on 5D replacement
    1. built-in ultrasonic sensor cleaning. The current 5D is famous with the dust due to big sensor size.
    2. Faster frame rate. I think 5 fps will good and 8 fps will be excellent
    3. Dual card slot. Similar to 1D Mk III, accept both CF and SD card so that I can keep my current CF card collections and slowly move to SD card.
    4. Live view, again as the 1D Mk III, so that I can take the photo far from my face and high above my head or at ground level without banding my head.
    5. Built-in WiFi transmission. Just send the file direct to the PC in the studio and view live before next shoot.
    6. if possible, 16 M resolution.

It seems Canon just need to put a full frame sensor on the 1D Mark III will be good enough for next 5D - mark IIIclap.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Many of the points on these wish lists would certainly be attractive to have if not to have to pay for.

If all or most of the points were incorporated into a body, would it be a 1Ds M5 or so?
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900