Yeah Baby: Lacrosse, My Fave Spring (?) Sport

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Sports
Some of you know how much I've been looking forward to this. A couple of highlights from yesterday:

252943593_QfZ6R-L.jpg

252942144_jFxSE-L.jpg

252943298_8CeTQ-L.jpg

I've actually never even watched lax in the snow. Made for interesting shooting conditions and yet more focus challenges for my Mk III, but I thought it would take me much longer than my second lax shoot ever to get a dream shot like #1.

Comments

• oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    KED, Great shots under tough conditions
    1 and 2 ROCk
    Looking forward to more from you
    Duke vs Bucknell for me this coming weekend
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    oldtime wrote:
    KED, Great shots under tough conditions
    1 and 2 ROCk
    Looking forward to more from you
    Duke vs Bucknell for me this coming weekend
    Thanks oldtime. Any compliment from a Sports Shooter member makes my day. Of course #3 was just to illustrate a point. We actually played 2.5 scrims yesterday (5 qtrs each vs each of Drexel and Quinnipiac) -- snow, which had not even been predicted, virtually never let up. I remain envious of your 1,000 longitudinal advantage! (Oh and the Blue Devils ain't so bad either). Have fun.

Much more to come!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Those are great and the snow just adds to it! Congrats! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    awesome captures. great intensity in 1 and 2. how did you keep you camera dry? i tried to in vermont today but could keep it out for more than a couple minutes at a time!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Nice shots! As you can see from the shots I posted, the conditions were a bit more favorable at Georgia Tech than what you were experiencing at Brown; 60 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

I'll take a little harsh lighting over frost bite any day! :D

#1 is a great capture.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
    edited February 10, 2008
    awesome captures. great intensity in 1 and 2. how did you keep you camera dry? i tried to in vermont today but could keep it out for more than a couple minutes at a time!
    As with many things, I have gear that I located on this forum; in this case, www.stormjacket.com. It's not a perfect solution because such does not exist -- the back and part of the top of the camera body can't help but be exposed and therefore get wet. But the camera is supposed to be weather-proof, and the connections (hood to lens, lens to body) ARE protected, so for 19 bucks or thereabouts, it's reasonable insurance. Many people are happy to use a big Ziploc bag, but I've got an image to protect! rolleyes1.gif

It seems to have worked fine with the handheld 70 - 200; the drawback is that it would appear to work not at all with anything mounted on a monopod -- there's no "slot" to get past the vertical connection.
    edited February 10, 2008
    KMCC wrote:
    Nice shots! As you can see from the shots I posted, the conditions were a bit more favorable at Georgia Tech than what you were experiencing at Brown; 60 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

I'll take a little harsh lighting over frost bite any day! :D

#1 is a great capture.
    Thanks Kent. Yep, I got lucky with #1 so early on (I was blasting, so I have another, just not quite as good). I am SO envious of southern climes right now, but hey, I have a kid playing D-I lax -- how bad can it be? He's in shorts, I can wear as many layers as necessary.

PS I wasn't even up in Providence -- this was played all the way "down south" in the NYC area. And when will YOU ever get to shoot lax in the snow? mwink.gif

/Kent
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Those guys are running around in shorts. I guess that what the young and the athletic do. Great shots BTW.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited February 10, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Those guys are running around in shorts. I guess that what the young and the athletic do. Great shots BTW.

Cuong
    Thank you and yes, that's what they do -- part of the whole lax culture of "leaving-unprotected-that-which-should-really-be-protected". You, being from So Cal, would have been the first to notice the shorts!
    edited February 10, 2008
    being a former lax player of 9 years....wearing anything but shorts isn't quite what you want to be doing...even in the snow. i'm sure the guys in pants got razzled a litle by their own teammates even....but it's all in good fun.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    YEAH BABY is right! Awesome shots. As a laxer i love seeing the photos, keep em coming!
    edited February 11, 2008
    pantherlax wrote:
    YEAH BABY is right! Awesome shots. As a laxer i love seeing the photos, keep em coming!
    That will be my pleasure! Thanks.
    edited February 11, 2008
    being a former lax player of 9 years....wearing anything but shorts isn't quite what you want to be doing...even in the snow. i'm sure the guys in pants got razzled a litle by their own teammates even....but it's all in good fun.
    Nope -- 90% were smart enough to dress for the weather, including your friend's bro, who has shunned practicality for forever. The majority wore UnderArmour bottoms - way less clunky than sweats and a decent compromise.

Now if they would only wear cups!
    edited February 11, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Nope -- 90% were smart enough to dress for the weather, including your friend's bro, who has shunned practicality for forever. The majority wore UnderArmour bottoms - way less clunky than sweats and a decent compromise.

Now if they would only wear cups!

wow...it must have been a whole lot colder than where i was in vermont...my apologies. have mercy!bowdown.gif hahahahah rolleyes1.gif
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

edited February 12, 2008
    wow...it must have been a whole lot colder than where i was in vermont...my apologies. have mercy!bowdown.gif hahahahah rolleyes1.gif
    This may be obnoxious, but on a one-time-only basis I'm bumping this because I'm really, really stoked about these results and haven't heard from some of my main correspondents. I'm NOT soliciting accolades (thank you again for those that I have received), just trying to stay on top of the page for another day or so.
    Mod: disallow if you choose
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    KED wrote:
    The majority wore UnderArmour bottoms - way less clunky than sweats and a decent compromise.

I know it's a new generation--but I still don't like the ballet look. Goalies can wear sweats -- although that's primarily an old school thing. Short's all around--in all seasons-- is really the gold standard. It's kinda like offensive and defensive line not wearing long sleeve shirts in football.
    KED wrote:
    ...just trying to stay on top of the page for another day or so.

Maybe this will keep you around for another little bit...until you can replace it with something new.
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    Maybe this will keep you around for another little bit...until you can replace it with something new.
    So I guess you think you've got game either as a laxer or as a photographer?

Anything that I had to say about your shots, I would have posted in real time, but I don't care too much anymore about pre-teen stuff.

As for the athletic aspect, I don't know (or care) where or if you played in college, but these conditions, in the first of a very limited number (2) of scrimmage weekends under Ivy League rules, were an invitation to injury and the smart thing to do was to dress for the weather. I guess they weren't thinking about how wmstumme might feel about their ballet look.

Post a better one.
  • pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I think wmstumme was trying to help you, KED, when he said he'll keep it around a little more by posting in your thread to bump it up, I didnt see an insult there, although i didnt understand what "post a better one was", because I liked your photos in the original post alot.

And with the "ballet look", well we do this all the time on the track, most of the guys wear the spandex leggings with shorts over them. I'm a laxer also, and if i see a player with them on i wouldnt think of them as a sissy or anthing...If i saw a player with rib pads on, especially a defenseman, than i would think of them as a sissy :D
    edited February 13, 2008
    Will and I have reconciled privately. Thanks for your remarks, pantherlax.
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Will and I have reconciled privately. Thanks for your remarks, pantherlax.
    Yep. We're good!

PS: On the sidelines, I could wear whatever I wanted!!mwink.gif
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    Yep. We're good!

PS: On the sidelines, I could wear whatever I wanted!!mwink.gif
    Yep, just call me Layer-Boy!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008

You know what I do, it so cheap its not even funny. I throw my camera on a monopod (really since I got the monopod it is the only time I use it, I didnt like being limited in camera movement). Then I take a large umbrela and duck tape. Open umberla, tape in two places on the monopod and BOOM you and your camera are dry as long as it is not sideways rain. Just becareful of the other photograhpers and officals and stuff. I think I have used this method maybe 4 or 5 times. If i shot sports more often, had a contract ext I would proably get some sort of rain jacket for my camera but its a inexpensive interm solution and it totally works!