Snow portraits

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited February 10, 2008 in People
This is my first post on here. I am looking for some CC on these.
251171771_gYvcH-M.jpg

251280507_jK4yy-M.jpg

251282479_9KVrY-M.jpg

250225288_3DLvV-M.jpg

249950502_7W6gU-M.jpg

Thanks,
Julie

Comments

• CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Newbie dgrinner :) Welcome to the gang !
    Hiya....Here are my humble comments:

Pic 1 - Love the tree thang, but I'd rather see this taken in portrait rather than landscape. That would allow you to be more creative and get a great shot without centering her face in the frame. A little color temp adjustment in RAW would help too. She seems a little too pale. Imaginative tho. Great textures and a pretty gurl.

Pic 2 - The crop is a little confined on the jawline, and the dof is off, as you likely don't need to be told. Don't feel bad. That gets me often as I adore taking closeups. If anyone ever perfects it....I'd love to know the secret to deep dof on closeups every time.

Pic 3 - Out of all these, this is my fave. Love the tone, the focus, the rich and sharp feel to it. My only critique on this one is the rotation. I'm not a big fan of that kinda shot, and the fact that the rotation is exaggerated, makes me shudder. Ignoring that camera rotation, it's an awesome photo I really dig.

Pic 4 - My second fave of your shots. Love the colors and the pose, but she looks PO'd, and I'd like to see better use of the rule of thirds.

Pic 5 - Like number 1, some creative use of the tree, and some color temp and that shot rocks. She's a little washed out in the light. She is my kinda model, so I see all kinds of options here. I'd like to see a pose with her leaning back against the tree, forehead dipping down a bit, with a sideways glance in some off camera direction. You did a good job, but like the rest of us, we're all learnin'. Hope I didn't offend in my comments.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Hiya....Here are my humble comments:

Pic 1 - Love the tree thang, but I'd rather see this taken in portrait rather than landscape. That would allow you to be more creative and get a great shot without centering her face in the frame. A little color temp adjustment in RAW would help too. She seems a little too pale. Imaginative tho. Great textures and a pretty gurl.

Pic 2 - The crop is a little confined on the jawline, and the dof is off, as you likely don't need to be told. Don't feel bad. That gets me often as I adore taking closeups. If anyone ever perfects it....I'd love to know the secret to deep dof on closeups every time.

Pic 3 - Out of all these, this is my fave. Love the tone, the focus, the rich and sharp feel to it. My only critique on this one is the rotation. I'm not a big fan of that kinda shot, and the fact that the rotation is exaggerated, makes me shudder. Ignoring that camera rotation, it's an awesome photo I really dig.

Pic 4 - My second fave of your shots. Love the colors and the pose, but she looks PO'd, and I'd like to see better use of the rule of thirds.

Pic 5 - Like number 1, some creative use of the tree, and some color temp and that shot rocks. She's a little washed out in the light. She is my kinda model, so I see all kinds of options here. I'd like to see a pose with her leaning back against the tree, forehead dipping down a bit, with a sideways glance in some off camera direction. You did a good job, but like the rest of us, we're all learnin'. Hope I didn't offend in my comments.
    No way, not offended here. Give me the cc but tell me your suggestions. I loved it and thanks. This is my almost 13 yold daughter. She rarely poses for me........I'll have to see if I can bribe her. Laughing.gif I do have more shots maybe similar to your suggestions regarding the tree on my site.
    Again, thanks for the feedback.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I have 15 yr old boy/girl twins. In contrast to your daughter, if mine simply hears the word pose, she's putting on makeup and changing clothes. Give your gurl a year and she'll be in the myspace age. Then, getting as many funky photos of herself as humanly possible will be her new hobby. Perhaps then it'll be easier to get her to pose for u lol.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I have 15 yr old boy/girl twins. In contrast to your daughter, if mine simply hears the word pose, she's putting on makeup and changing clothes. Give your gurl a year and she'll be in the myspace age. Then, getting as many funky photos of herself as humanly possible will be her new hobby. Perhaps then it'll be easier to get her to pose for u lol.

Now, now. Let's not push her into that stereotype... at that age I avoided the camera... I enjoy getting pictures taken now a little bit more than I did as an awkward young teen... ;)

I love the second one best, I think it captures the emotion very well...

the advice given by the poster above was great and I can't think of anything better at teh moment :)
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Hey Julie!

So glad you're here too!

CarnalSigh really gave great advice. I know you were looking for come good critiques to help improve and I think he has helped. :)

You know I love 2 and 3 the most. Well done on those!

Bri will come around....I think she's getting the "bug" and her friends are loving it too...soon they'll all be coming to your place for photo shoots.
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown