Bulk update theme program ?

DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited March 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
After merging two sites, I have the need to update a large number of categories, subcategories and galleries to a different theme.

As far I can see, Smugbrowser doesn't have this built in yet.
Starexplorer doesn't have this functionality at all.

Is there a program out there to do this ?

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    No, not yet. Wish I had a better answer for you!
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Thanks Andy.

(goes off to poke Devbobo) thumb.gif

Andrew
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Dna wrote:
    Thanks Andy.

(goes off to poke Devbobo) thumb.gif

Andrew
    Yes, please do.
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Dna wrote:
    After merging two sites, I have the need to update a large number of categories, subcategories and galleries to a different theme.

As far I can see, Smugbrowser doesn't have this built in yet.
    Starexplorer doesn't have this functionality at all.

Is there a program out there to do this ?
    I've been trying to get the time to write a bulk watermark program.. If it ever gets done rolleyes1.gif (I swear, I'm working on it.. But, life intervenes way too often..) I think a bulk theme change should be a snap to add to it. I'd already have a mechanism to get a list of galleries, etc..

But, you could probably make a really fast perl program to do that.. No need for fancy graphics if you just want to make EVERYTHING one theme, etc.. You could almost do it by hand if you knew how to use the API!
    edited February 11, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I've been trying to get the time to write a bulk watermark program.. If it ever gets done rolleyes1.gif (I swear, I'm working on it.. But, life intervenes way too often..) I think a bulk theme change should be a snap to add to it. I'd already have a mechanism to get a list of galleries, etc..
    Cool, look forward to it. Yell if you need a beta tester.
    But, you could probably make a really fast perl program to do that.. No need for fancy graphics if you just want to make EVERYTHING one theme, etc.. You could almost do it by hand if you knew how to use the API!
    Step 1. Learn Perl
    Step 2. Learn API.
    rolleyes1.gif

Unfortunately I don't need everything to be one theme. Just certain categories, subcategories and galleries.

Thanks

Andrew
    edited February 11, 2008
    Dna wrote:
    Step 1. Learn Perl
    Step 2. Learn API.
    rolleyes1.gif
    You forgot... Step 3. Profit! Laughing.gif

Sorry, it's a really old/bad joke from /. (geeks will know what I'm talking about.. For everyone else, trust me, it's not that funny.. mwink.gif )

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful right now.. I'm still trying to recover from some personal issues that are the whole reason that the bulk watermark program hasn't been done yet. rolleyes1.gif

David
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I think a bulk theme change should be a snap to add to it.

no it won't since it's not supported via the API at this point :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 11, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    You forgot... Step 3. Profit! Laughing.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful right now.. I'm still trying to recover from some personal issues that are the whole reason that the bulk watermark program hasn't been done yet. rolleyes1.gif
    David
    Cool. no problems.

Andrew
    edited February 11, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    no it won't since it's not supported via the API at this point :D
    Really? I thought I saw it... My brain is failing me.. rolleyes1.gif Ok, I take it all back.. a theme changing program will be impossible to write.. Laughing.gif
  • agriecoagrieco Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Really? I thought I saw it... My brain is failing me.. rolleyes1.gif Ok, I take it all back.. a theme changing program will be impossible to write.. Laughing.gif

It appears to be there...its just not documented. I used: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/smugmug.albums.create+1.2.0 and added in a argument of "&ThemeID=3669" (3669 is gradient White) and viola...every new album had the gradient white theme.

I'm new around here, but am considering switching to smugmug (from self hosted gallery). This idea of changing the default them while migrating several hundred albums (via uploadalbum perl script) is something that is critical to my decision. Anyone have any ideas if this will get me kicked out of smugmug (using an undocumented API?)

thanks
    anthony
    edited March 30, 2008
    agrieco wrote:
    Anyone have any ideas if this will get me kicked out of smugmug (using an undocumented API?)
    I sincerely doubt it. There's lots of undocumented stuff floating around SM :)

But, you can change the default theme in the control panel and ignore all that nonsense of doing via. API. THEN, you can change it later.. easily.

David
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    agrieco wrote:
    It appears to be there...its just not documented. I used: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/smugmug.albums.create+1.2.0 and added in a argument of "&ThemeID=3669" (3669 is gradient White) and viola...every new album had the gradient white theme.

I'm new around here, but am considering switching to smugmug (from self hosted gallery). This idea of changing the default them while migrating several hundred albums (via uploadalbum perl script) is something that is critical to my decision. Anyone have any ideas if this will get me kicked out of smugmug (using an undocumented API?)

thanks
    anthony
    Why not just set the default theme to gradient white in your control panel and then each new gallery created will be set at the default theme automatically?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 30, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Why not just set the default theme to gradient white in your control panel and then each new gallery created will be set at the default theme automatically?
    I beat you to it! lol3.gif
  • agriecoagrieco Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I sincerely doubt it. There's lots of undocumented stuff floating around SM :)

But, you can change the default theme in the control panel and ignore all that nonsense of doing via. API. THEN, you can change it later.. easily.

David

Beauty...even better. Thanks for the pointer. Its much more fun doing it in code though mwink.gif
    edited March 30, 2008
    agrieco wrote:
    Beauty...even better. Thanks for the pointer. Its much more fun doing it in code though mwink.gif
    Maybe, but I'm lazy, so, I'll use the easiest way :)

David