Major Problem: All my galleries force slideshow

arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited February 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Can anyone help?

In all my galleries (photos.richardberry.org), my settings are to allow the viewer to chose their view. When viewing in Firefox, you can't get out of Slideshow unless you customize the gallery to force the view to something else (my preferred view is Smugmug). It seems to be OK on IE.

I've forced a few over to Smugmug until I realized IE works appropriately.

I'd appreciate any help offered.

-Richard

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2008
    arpboy wrote:
    Can anyone help?

In all my galleries (photos.richardberry.org), my settings are to allow the viewer to chose their view. When viewing in Firefox, you can't get out of Slideshow unless you customize the gallery to force the view to something else (my preferred view is Smugmug). It seems to be OK on IE.

I've forced a few over to Smugmug until I realized IE works appropriately.

I'd appreciate any help offered.

-Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry you are having problems! I went to several of your galleries and the style viewer works fine. Was able to change to any of the viewing styles. I am using Firefox.

The viewing style preference is held by a cookie in your browser. Can you clear your cache and cookies in Firefox and see if that helps?

Clearing Cache and Cookies in Firefox 2.0:

From the *|Tools|* menu, select *|Clear Private Data|*, and then choose *|Cache|*.

Cookies in Firefox:

1. Open Firefox and go to * Tools | Options*.
    2. Click *Privacy*.
    3. Click the "Show Cookies" button and then click the *Remove All
    Cookies* button.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Richard,

Sorry you are having problems! I went to several of your galleries and the style viewer works fine. Was able to change to any of the viewing styles. I am using Firefox.

The viewing style preference is held by a cookie in your browser. Can you clear your cache and cookies in Firefox and see if that helps?

Clearing Cache and Cookies in Firefox 2.0:

From the *|Tools|* menu, select *|Clear Private Data|*, and then choose *|Cache|*.

Cookies in Firefox:

1. Open Firefox and go to * Tools | Options*.
    2. Click *Privacy*.
    3. Click the "Show Cookies" button and then click the *Remove All
    Cookies* button.

Barb:

Thanks. I cleared my cookies and that seems to have cleared it up. What threw me is that I tried it on 4 machines (2 windows, 2 Linux) and all behaved the same. Since they're all mine, they probably inherited the setting. I'll clear cookies on all, and it looks like that will solve it.

Many thanks!

-Richard
  • scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Same problem here. Same soln too.
    Just an FYI for the powers that be (or do, when it coems to fixing stuff!). This hit me too, starting yesterday. I cleared my cookies and it seems fixed.

I'm using Firefox and just uploaded a bunch of images when I noticed the problem on all galleries.

Scott
    www.scottwestphotography.com
    arpboy wrote:
    Barb:

Thanks. I cleared my cookies and that seems to have cleared it up. What threw me is that I tried it on 4 machines (2 windows, 2 Linux) and all behaved the same. Since they're all mine, they probably inherited the setting. I'll clear cookies on all, and it looks like that will solve it.

Many thanks!

-Richard
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Ditto. This has never happened before until the recent security update. I cannot imagine how they are connected, but I hadn't heard about it before either and now several people with the problem.

Clearing cookies fixed it, but it's rather odd and kinda a pain.
    scottkwest wrote:
    Just an FYI for the powers that be (or do, when it coems to fixing stuff!). This hit me too, starting yesterday. I cleared my cookies and it seems fixed.

I'm using Firefox and just uploaded a bunch of images when I noticed the problem on all galleries.

Scott
    www.scottwestphotography.com
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 12, 2008
    This issue is related to using the old slideshow hack with keywords or popular photos.

The hack attempts to set a certain style (in order to load all the images) and then attempts to set the cookie back to it's original state or delete it, I can't remember which. The problem being that it is very time dependent...and the side effect is exactly what you are seeing and the cookie remains set to the slideshow style.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 12, 2008
    Hmmm...I am using the old slideshow hack, but with a specific gallery of photos - not keywords or popular photos.

devbobo wrote:
    This issue is related to using the old slideshow hack with keywords or popular photos.

The hack attempts to set a certain style (in order to load all the images) and then attempts to set the cookie back to it's original state or delete it, I can't remember which. The problem being that it is very time dependent...and the side effect is exactly what you are seeing and the cookie remains set to the slideshow style.

Cheers,

David
    edited February 12, 2008
    afarber wrote:
    Hmmm...I am using the old slideshow hack, but with a specific gallery of photos - not keywords or popular photos.

However, if you have visted sites of people who have the slideshow hack using keywords or popular, you cookie would be stuck on slideshow.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 12, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    However, if you have visted sites of people who have the slideshow hack using keywords or popular, you cookie would be stuck on slideshow.

oh, wow. Hmmm...OK. So this would affect anyone regardless if they are using the hack on their own page. It's all about the pages you visit. Interesting. Thanks for clarifying!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Run into that all the time, sure wish they would fix the code. Probably
    thousands of sites like that.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:

who is they ?

The only fix that I believe there is, is don't use keywords or popular. Better still use the new flash slideshow.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I'm using that hack too. Time to re-learn and start writing code again...
    When I get the chance, anyway.

Any quick solution advice?

Scott
    Allen wrote:
    edited February 13, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    who is they ?

The only fix that I believe there is, is don't use keywords or popular. Better still use the new flash slideshow.
    My problem is I hit a whole bunch of Smug sites helping them and returning
    to my site the popular and keyword pages are locked in another style and
    have to delete the Smugmug cookies. This can happen many times a day
    and has.:cry

btw, I'm in the process of creating about 52 new gallery pages like this one
    for each keyword flash show. Sure wish there was a way to select
    the show in the drop I have now to change the keyword for the flash show
    on the fly. It was working perfect for the old show. But with no captions
    and random photos it falls short and is not ready for prime time yet.
    edited February 13, 2008
    Allen,

The flash slideshow supports feeds so it is possible to have keyword and popular slideshows.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 13, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Allen,

The flash slideshow supports feeds so it is possible to have keyword and popular slideshows.

Cheers,

David
    Already running boththumb.gif, just that some of my shows require captions. But the
    major reason is I haven't found a way to change the show source on the fly
    on a page like the old bird shows. Bit the bullet and creating about 60 new
    galleries for my bird shows linked from here. The old show page is kind
    useless now, all shows remained on that page, switching sources with the
    menu. Have the same thing in family, 64 different show sources, selectable
    from menu.
  • arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    My problem is I hit a whole bunch of Smug sites helping them and returning
    to my site the popular and keyword pages are locked in another style and
    have to delete the Smugmug cookies. This can happen many times a day
    and has.:cry

btw, I'm in the process of creating about 52 new gallery pages like this one
    for each keyword flash show. Sure wish there was a way to select
    the show in the drop I have now to change the keyword for the flash show
    on the fly. It was working perfect for the old show. But with no captions
    and random photos it falls short and is not ready for prime time yet.

I appreciate all the insight here. I have to say that everything seems fine since I've changed to the flash slideshow. And I did get it working for my popular photos (photos.richardberry.org).

This may be a bit off-subject, but are there any tutorials on how to weave in a theme with the slideshow, much as Allen has done (or Andy, who has a stellar site)?

Thanks.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Not sure if I'm having the same problems as everyone else as I don't even know what "hack" is being refered to. Anyways every SM site I went to including my own would open each gallery in a slideshow. Not the thumb view I usually see.

I cleared my cookies and now it's back to normal. Just thought it was weird.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com