Canon 20D Repair - Worth it?

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Cameras
Allright... I got the repair estimate for my 20D from Canon: $360 bucks.

"[FONT=&quot]IMPACT DAMAGE. NO POWER. REPLACE FRONT COVER ASSY. CHECK AND ADJUST FOCUS. SUBJECT TO RE-ESTIMATE IF ANY ADDITIONAL MAJOR PARTS ARE NEEDED. PLEASE RESPOND TO ESTIMATE.[/FONT]" (mod edit to remove black font.)

Absolutely totally bummed out now. 20D's go used for $350-$550 now, depending on shutter actuations. Mine has no more than 15k actuations. I was planning on upgrading to a 40D soon'ish (4-5 weeks) anyway, but would've liked to keep the 20D as a backup body possibly, or at least sell it for ~$500 to cover some of the 40D costs.

Anyway, long story short ... Is it worth repairing the 20D?
-bernardo
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Personally, I'd cut my losses and get the 40D as soon as possible since that is on your agenda anyway. What you save could go towards a new lens or to help defray the cost of the new camera.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 11, 2008
    Note the part about the "SUBJECT TO RE-ESTIMATE IF ANY ADDITIONAL MAJOR PARTS ARE NEEDED". You might be looking at an even higher bill depending on what they find during the repair.

Since they mention impact damage I would not assume the least.

I suggest that it would not be worth the risk to me and I would buy the 40D now.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008

"[FONT=&quot]IMPACT DAMAGE. NO POWER. REPLACE FRONT COVER ASSY. CHECK AND ADJUST FOCUS. SUBJECT TO RE-ESTIMATE IF ANY ADDITIONAL MAJOR PARTS ARE NEEDED. PLEASE RESPOND TO ESTIMATE.[/FONT]"

Absolutely totally bummed out now. 20D's go used for $350-$550 now, depending on shutter actuations. Mine has no more than 15k actuations. I was planning on upgrading to a 40D soon'ish (4-5 weeks) anyway, but would've liked to keep the 20D as a backup body possibly, or at least sell it for ~$500 to cover some of the 40D costs.

-bernardo

In this situation I would not get the 20D repaired, and this is coming from someone who just bought a second 20D body as a backup. You have to keep in mind when evaluating this that you still have a working battery, charger, etc. so the value of those items needs to be taken off when figuring the actual value of your camera. In your situation I would probably value the camera at somewhere around $400 so you are looking at spending over 75% of the value of your camera on a repair, and possibly more than the value of the camera, depending on what else they might find. There are reputable dealers out there selling a new 30D that they have left on the shelf for $800 and a used 30D for $650, and you can probably find a better price than that from a private seller.
    --Travis
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with all the above. In addition, it may be 3 or 4 weeks before you get your 20D back from the service folks. It could be less though. I just had my 20D focus adjusted and some parts replaced. They gave me a hard estimate (~$300) to get the job done and I got the camera back in just over 2 weeks. Long story short - you might be right up against your 4-5 week window and then you could have used that $360 as partial payment on the new 40D.

Except for when your drop your primary:D, do you have a need for a backup camera? Do you shoot where, if your camera fails, you're sunk? If so, then maybe it might be better to go ahead and get the camera fixed.
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice ... I'm about to put down a deposit for a 40D and will hopefully have it by next week. Stoked! :D
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I agree with the rest, time to put the 20D on a shelf & retire it.
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    matching body for the 600MM L
    sorry to hear about you 20D

if all else fails you can always get together with the poor borrowlenses.com guy with his SUNK 600mm L lense and have some fun......rolleyes1.gif

congrats on the 40D though!!!!
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008

"[FONT=&quot]IMPACT DAMAGE. NO POWER. REPLACE FRONT COVER ASSY. CHECK AND ADJUST FOCUS. SUBJECT TO RE-ESTIMATE IF ANY ADDITIONAL MAJOR PARTS ARE NEEDED. PLEASE RESPOND TO ESTIMATE.[/FONT]" (mod edit to remove black font.)

-bernardo

Well, its *your* camera. If you need a second body, yes, you should repair it; but if you think you'll be fine with just a 40d, then the answer is a resounding no.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    unclejon wrote:
    sorry to hear about you 20D

if all else fails you can always get together with the poor borrowlenses.com guy with his SUNK 600mm L lense and have some fun......rolleyes1.gif

congrats on the 40D though!!!!

Yeah, he only had to pay 12%.... ouch. Gotta learn to use tripods (Or smaller lenses that you can carry, lol ;P).

What he was shooting with a 1200mm lens... we'll never know.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    Yeah, he only had to pay 12%.... ouch. Gotta learn to use tripods (Or smaller lenses that you can carry, lol ;P).

What he was shooting with a 1200mm lens... we'll never know.

My guess is alligator eyelashes. :D I agree on the support though, I certainly wouldn't trust that kind of monster on a monopod (with some kind of wimpy head apparently--it's failure was mentioned as why the lens took a swim).