Cleanse

prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in People
I was bored one afternoon so I decided I would play around with lighting and my new remote control. This is my favorite shot out of them all. I was wanting to know what all of you thought about it. Thanks for your time.

shower1nq1.th.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I was bored one afternoon so I decided I would play around with lighting and my new remote control. This is my favorite shot out of them all. I was wanting to know what all of you thought about it. Thanks for your time.

shower1nq1.th.jpg

it's a nice butt shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I like it. I think I would like it more if your head was more visible. With your head hanging it sort of has a feeling of despair or distress, but perhaps that is what you were going for. I think it would be nice to recover a little bit of the highlights possibly? I think it would be fun to crank up the hot water a bit and get some steam in there too? Anyhow, looks like a fun shot. I will do you all a favor and not ever take a similar picture of myself lol.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    thanks for the input. i think the steam is a great idea. i just don't want the model to get scorched!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I think I like the shot, but my tired old eyes can't see that teenie-tiny image. Question though - did you have your remote in a zip-lock bag, or were you risking your electronics?

And I think it's interesting that we assumed it was you in the shower because you mentioned the remote. For all we know, your model just didn't want you in the room while she was nude, and you fired the shutter when she told you too.mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 11, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I think I like the shot, but my tired old eyes can't see that teenie-tiny image. Question though - did you have your remote in a zip-lock bag, or were you risking your electronics?

And I think it's interesting that we assumed it was you in the shower because you mentioned the remote. For all we know, your model just didn't want you in the room while she was nude, and you fired the shutter when she told you too.mwink.gif

well we will just never know now will we? ne_nau.gif click on the image and it should give you a bigger image.headscratch.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I like it. I just wish the shoulders weren't blown out. I guess you could argue that it's the look of the shot (kinda grunge), but I think I'd have preferred it not blown out.

The logistics of that shot must have been difficult. But the result is really nice! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Lighting - this rocks. I have to agree that recovery of some of the blown highlights would be in order if possible. It might have been a little better had it not been so heavy on the wall above your model. Maybe some sort of diffuser. Or, as was suggested, a bit more steam in the air would make for a wonderful difusser.

Pose - This has a feeling of sadness/dispair. Well done if that's what you were going for.

Composition - If you were ever in the mood to do this again, I might suggest opening/removing the shower curtain or moving it even further to the left to cover half the model. The stuff under the shower head - I know it's a part of every shower, just wondering if it needs to be a part of this image.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I think you got this just right. Sometimes blown highlights add to the drama..and here I think they do.
    Nice moody shot. Well done
    edited February 11, 2008
    All I'm sayin' is that you should get bored more often.
    John :
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    thanks for the input. i think the steam is a great idea. i just don't want the model to get scorched!

Well sometimes we alll suffer for our art eh? :D Just kidding be careful with that hot water!

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
    edited February 11, 2008
    ashowerap7.th.jpg

here it is with more detail in the highlights. i think i prefer the blown highlights tho.....
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    ashowerap7.th.jpg

here it is with more detail in the highlights. i think i prefer the blown highlights tho.....

I much prefer this. I don't mind blown highlights in the tile, but the woman, it makes her more human, and the image more emotional for me. I think the blown highlights are a bit heavy handed.

I agree with Scott about the stuff hanging from the shower head.

I'll say it again, I really like this image. Nicely done.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 11, 2008
    Thank you very much David. yea i agree about the shower stuff, didn't think about it when i took the photo and i'm not good enough at photoshop to take it out. ah well. thanks for your thoughts
    DavidTO wrote:
    I much prefer this. I don't mind blown highlights in the tile, but the woman, it makes her more human, and the image more emotional for me. I think the blown highlights are a bit heavy handed.

I agree with Scott about the stuff hanging from the shower head.

I'll say it again, I really like this image. Nicely done.
    edited February 11, 2008
    For what it's worth, I too prefer the second rendition.
    John :
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I like them both...as for the steam.....here is an easy and not to dangerous way to get a truly steamy effect.......place just a small amount of dry ice in the tub and when the water hits....you got steam and it would surround you from the feet up ad a small fan and you could prob get it to swirl.......

When I saw the first pic (small as it was) and with the title....it felt that was an emotional cleanse......the second could still be that but it is more of a "just get the dirt off" shot.....I feel the first has much more EMOTIONAL POWER.

Very well executed.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 12, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I feel the first has much more EMOTIONAL POWER.

that is what i was goin for. thanks for your comments!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I feel the first has much more EMOTIONAL POWER.
    15524779-Ti.gif - after seeing both, I like the first one so much more.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I have to agree with those who say it's a bit depressing looking. That being said however, the lighting, pose and general idea is great. Yeah achieving the "steam" could be risky with just hot water...perhaps some dry ice (protect those digits though) and maybe turning a little more to the side and lifting your head up would be less depressing.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    For me....the first one, the one you originally posted is the best one of all, for no other reason than YOU the artist saw it and felt it and that's the story you wanted the photo to convey. I think it rocks. My 2 cents.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    me like the first one... nice job and nice gluts (sp):D
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    I think you got this just right. Sometimes blown highlights add to the drama..and here I think they do.
    Nice moody shot. Well done

I'm thinking the same! Lovely!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited February 15, 2008
    I'm thinking the same! Lovely!

thank you!