Candid - "Girlfriend"

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited February 11, 2008 in People
Continuing my exercises - your reactions always welcome!

253386602_wvgCv-XL.jpg
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hi Neil,

In a word I would say "severe".

The lighting appears very harsh even though you haven't let it get the best of you. The highlights seem well controlled, but the shadows give it away.
    I also think that the high angle of this light over accentuates her cheeks as you can see by those shadows. The shot is well focused, but sometimes a portrait with everything in the frame in focus makes me dizzy(this is a personal opinion though).

She is a very pretty young lady.

I usually use some fill flash to lift shadows a bit when shadows are this harsh.

Thanks for sharing:D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Many thanks, jeffreaux2!

You are spot on about the severity. I tried to prewarn by using the description "candid" Laughing.gif! It was shot in late sunlight, and I was in "won't use any flash" state of mind.

I yet have to learn how to sharpen only some areas pp, just getting High Pass + Surface Blur under my belt.

So, you see, it and you are teaching me some things about the practice of this fine art!

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Many thanks, jeffreaux2!

You are spot on about the severity. I tried to prewarn by using the description "candid" Laughing.gif! It was shot in late sunlight, and I was in "won't use any flash" state of mind.

I yet have to learn how to sharpen only some areas pp, just getting High Pass + Surface Blur under my belt.

So, you see, it and you are teaching me some things about the practice of this fine art!

The best way to selectively sharpen?

My method is to PP two versions of the same image....one sharpened and one softened. High pass sharpeneng is a very good way to sharpen. The softening can be done in a variety of ways, but I use third party photoshop filters. There are many on the market and some good ones are free. Be carefull of using those that add saturation or casts when combining as a layer...they won't match in color.

After the PP on both photos put the soft as a layer on the sharp version....create a mask...and paint in where you want it sharp...and sharper . Then use the opacity slider to adjust the overall effect.
    edited February 11, 2008
    A ton of thanks! It's on the agenda!

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The best way to selectively sharpen?

My method is to PP two versions of the same image....one sharpened and one softened. High pass sharpeneng is a very good way to sharpen. The softening can be done in a variety of ways, but I use third party photoshop filters. There are many on the market and some good ones are free. Be carefull of using those that add saturation or casts when combining as a layer...they won't match in color.

After the PP on both photos put the soft as a layer on the sharp version....create a mask...and paint in where you want it sharp...and sharper . Then use the opacity slider to adjust the overall effect.

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Continuing my exercises - your reactions always welcome!
    Well, it's not "candid" per se..headscratch.gif
    I'd say the light is extremely harsh and bland to my personal taste. Even the nice off-camera angle doesn't help. The background is so clean it's plain boring.
    All in all the image leaves me cold. No story, no soul, I don't relate to it. ne_nau.gif
    Sorry rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    No opinion to share as to the technicality of the image, but couldn't view the thread without commenting on what a beautiful young lady she is. The smile suits her mwink.gif (thinking of the other "manga" picture you shared).
    edited February 11, 2008
    @ Nikolai

I agree with what you say. I am treating it as a practice exercise, so, many ingredients are missing for whatever reasons, my great inadequacy in taking shots among them! I am happy I got focus and exposure half-way right, and an open, natural, relaxed expression as she was moving. The other things that have been pointed out by you and jeffreaux2 I have taken on board. Thanks!

edited February 11, 2008
    Nice of you to drop that comment, thanks, stirfry!

stirfry wrote:
    No opinion to share as to the technicality of the image, but couldn't view the thread without commenting on what a beautiful young lady she is. The smile suits her mwink.gif (thinking of the other "manga" picture you shared).