dear portrait dgrinners...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in People
I'm in the finals of the Last Photographer Standing and am looking for your input on a two portraits that I took. Please offer your frank and honest opinions as to either of these could be competition-worthy. Suggestions greatly appreciated! Thank you, Tessa

251764979_8kQew-L.jpg

252334459_2iHgv-L.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    The first one took me by surprise, what an unexpected and effective angle. Love it! The other is nice, too, although I'm bothered a little by the difference in sharpness between her face and his. Both are lovely shots in their own right.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    The other is nice, too, although I'm bothered a little by the difference in sharpness between her face and his. Both are lovely shots in their own right.

I agree - I already asked them if they'd allow me to reshoot. Now to find time in all 3 of our schedules!

thank you for your comments!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I agree that the first is a very interesting angle.

The second shot I like in theory, but as Lynne mentioned his face isn't very sharp. Another thing that bothers me is that I would like to see them interacting more. They each have a hand showing, but at near opposites of the frame. Something similar, but with their arms entwined, or hands closer together might have brought it together ...at least for me....even if their faces were both out of focus. A tad more light would have been nice for him also. As it is, her shoulder and arm dominate the image.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    The first is a cool shot at a different angle. I wonder what it would look like in black and white... The light on his right arm bothers me a bit as the shadow on the wrist almost makes the arm look disembodied. This may be helped with converting to b/w as would removing the distracting colors of his shirt.
    Looking forward to seeing more of this in the finals.
    E
    edited February 11, 2008
    black and white
    eoren1 wrote:
    The first is a cool shot at a different angle. I wonder what it would look like in black and white... The light on his right arm bothers me a bit as the shadow on the wrist almost makes the arm look disembodied. This may be helped with converting to b/w as would removing the distracting colors of his shirt.
    Looking forward to seeing more of this in the finals.
    E

here's smugmug's processing of b/w: thank you for your comments! 253421541_utcAJ-L-1.jpg

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I'm enthusiastic about the first shot. If you can, grab the kid and get back to work! There is a lot of potential in the angle and the composition. I'd try to keep it not too literal, ie keep a lot of chiaroscuro for the interplay of planes (but not the shadow on his upper chest), but make the trumpet a real force! I'd like to see his eyes open and some light reflecting in them.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Not enthusiastic about the B&W!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    i like the 1st one most
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I realy like the concept and angle of the 1st image, but for the finals it needs more. I would like to see a little different lighting. Make the turmpet really shine. If you can reshoot I might also suggets a wardrobe change for the child. Dres him up plike a blues musician; hat, sun glasses etc. Have some fun with it.

just my $0.02
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    First shot has a creative angle. I like it better in black and white.
    It does not really work for me as far as having much impact however.

Second shot does nothing for me. I can't get past all that blown out skin.

Of the two the first shot is far better to me.

If it were me I would try to improve the first shot, although the black and white version is nice.

Good luck with the competition!
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    LOVE #1 - good luck!!
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
    edited February 12, 2008
    Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate the input and have decided to work on the first one as a possible entry.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com