Does anyone think that the XSi will be worth an upgrade?

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in Cameras
About the only HUGE difference that I am seeing between the XT series and the XSi is the 14-bit processing. I know most of you folks shoot much better cameras, but wondering who is planning on snagging an XSi as a backup
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nope
    TaDa wrote:
    About the only HUGE difference that I am seeing between the XT series and the XSi is the 14-bit processing. I know most of you folks shoot much better cameras, but wondering who is planning on snagging an XSi as a backup

I currently have no plan to purchase an Xsi. I have a 20D and an XT for backup. I may up to a 30D at some point for my main body, but here's why I wont buy a 40D or Xsi:

-Screen too big-- Ergonomics of 40D and Xsi are messed up and big screens like that are more likely to break if the camera takes a hit.

-SD Card on Xsi--I prefer to use CF because larger cards available and harder to lose a physically bigger card.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    From what I've seen from the Nikon folks that can alter between 14 vs 12 bit RAW files, there really isn't any practical real world difference to me.

The Xsi uses a new battery and a memory card format and I'm not intersted in all that noise I expect from 12 MP APS-C sized sensor.

Ergonomically and looks wise, I think it looks very god.

Nope don't see myself getting one.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Well there will be a noticeable resolution increase and ability to crop going from 8 to 12mps.

Plus the LV can be useful.

Plus it has a better AF system.

High ISO noise will be more. But that may or may not be important to you.

If you shoot a lot of landscapes or wildlife in good to moderate light the higher resolution would defenitely help.

LV is very nice for macro too.

Gene
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Not I. I have no interest in the Rebel cameras, this one is not different. Just MHO.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    The more I look at the new Pentax K200D, and its feature set, the more I want it as my first DSLR. Release date is March 19 up here. :we need a mr burns finger tapping smilie

The Rebel XSi? Not particularly compelling. ne_nau.gif
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I have an XT that I am quite happy with, and if the XSi really has more high ISO noise then I don't need it. The only conceivable way I would go XSi is if I sold my XT first, because the XSi is not worth paying another $800 if I already have an XT.

What about as a backup body, as you asked? Well, my plan for a backup body is to buy a 50D or 60D down the road, and then the XT becomes the backup body.
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    I have an XT that I am quite happy with, and if the XSi really has more high ISO noise then I don't need it. The only conceivable way I would go XSi is if I sold my XT first, because the XSi is not worth paying another $800 if I already have an XT.

What about as a backup body, as you asked? Well, my plan for a backup body is to buy a 50D or 60D down the road, and then the XT becomes the backup body.

Same situation I'm in. I love my XT right now and plan on buying a 40D+ later down the road when I need more power
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    TaDa wrote:

I think if youre worrying about the bit processing in a new camera, your time could be better spent learning camera technique, instead of asking whether you should upgrade. when you start missing shots because of slow shutter speed, low iso sensitivity, or not enough of a wide variety of a lens lineup, thats when you should upgrade your camera, not for silly 2 bit processing ;P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Grainbelt wrote:
    The more I look at the new Pentax K200D, and its feature set, the more I want it as my first DSLR. Release date is March 19 up here. :we need a mr burns finger tapping smilie

The Rebel XSi? Not particularly compelling. ne_nau.gif

It 'looks nice' but they really cut corners in all the wrong places.

(1.1 FPS is what I dream of for every dream slr ;P.)
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    No plans on XSi. Only plan on moving up. Love my XTi and 40D. I don't expect the XSi to be worse than the XTi as far as usability and image quality. Ergonomics is a user specific issue.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com