Options

Hanging Strobes From Ceiling

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in Accessories
My in-home studio is almost complete. Carpet to be installed this week (hopefully). Anyway, I was curious if anyone had any ideas/ways of mounting strobes from the ceiling. I know huge studios have really expensive tracks built in, just curious if there are cheaper or homemade options out there.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    My in-home studio is almost complete. Carpet to be installed this week (hopefully). Anyway, I was curious if anyone had any ideas/ways of mounting strobes from the ceiling. I know huge studios have really expensive tracks built in, just curious if there are cheaper or homemade options out there.

I'd be looking at 2" plumbing tubing with flanges and make an upside down railing type bar that run parallel to your shooting direction and use some sort of clamps or hooks to a hang the lights from that. Just make sure the bar flanges are screwed into the ceiling studs.

Or buy some grab/safety hand rails and mount them on your ceiling.

Stainless_Steel_Grab_Bar.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    JimM wrote:

There are budget tracks available, jsut have to peruse the ads in shutterbug and other photo mags.....

The 2" or 1 1/2" gas pipe is an idea....thn off to a threatical supply house for proper clamps (same kind used for hanging threatical lights) they will run prob around $10-15 per clamp as they weigh in at just under 1/2 pound once clamped they don't usually let go.....but to cover your A** also buy each hanging light a safety cable that locks the light fixture to the pipe by way of a carabiner type clasp........

If I could manage a rail system that would be my choice as then you could easily move the lights position(s)...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Get some bogen super clamps. You can find them on Ebay for about 30 bucks a pop. You can also take them down and use them anywhere.

These in conjunction w/ the other posts will have you set up AND versatile.

They are awesome. Get some:D
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Some great suggestions, thank you. I should have noted that I left the ceiling just studs and had it sprayed flat black, so this will contribute to the hanging.

The super clamps or theatrical clamps might still work well, or I can run some pipes as mentioned. Any suggestions for how to extend the lights up and down? I.e. how to get the light attached to a said clamp, and then have the ability to raise/lower the light to the desired height?

Thanks again for all the help!
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Just found this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-STUDIO-LIGHTING-SUPPORT-RAIL-SYSTEM-CMR-B3304_W0QQitemZ360020875872QQihZ023QQcategoryZ30088QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem wasn't looking to spend this kind of money ($300+$200 to ship) but it does look like it would provde a ton of flexibility (note the springy things to raise/lower lights). Any one use something like this? Other ideas (again, more the homemade variety please)?

• Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    Some great suggestions, thank you. I should have noted that I left the ceiling just studs and had it sprayed flat black, so this will contribute to the hanging.

The super clamps or theatrical clamps might still work well, or I can run some pipes as mentioned. Any suggestions for how to extend the lights up and down? I.e. how to get the light attached to a said clamp, and then have the ability to raise/lower the light to the desired height?

Thanks again for all the help!

Not a home made idea, but keeping with the theatrical equipment idea take a look at http://mail.altmanltg.com/publicsynergy/docs/BLCatalogue.asp?Catalog=DEFAULT&Reload=1&Country=US&Account=&Assortment=265, and search for the 509-12 and 509-18 parts...
    --Travis
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    Not a home made idea, but keeping with the theatrical equipment idea take a look at http://mail.altmanltg.com/publicsynergy/docs/BLCatalogue.asp?Catalog=DEFAULT&Reload=1&Country=US&Account=&Assortment=265, and search for the 509-12 and 509-18 parts...

BacoImage.asp?Table=Items&Col=Picture&FileCol=PictureFilename&IDCol=ItemCode&ID=508

Yeah these were the clamps I was looking for before. Forgot about the stage/theator usage.
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I have the Amvona setup and love it. My studio is fairly small, so not haveing to worry about stands is a blessing.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer