that bad?
    wow, so bad, not one comment,
    maybe i should just hang up my camera
  • nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    ethel wrote:
    wow, so bad, not one comment,
    maybe i should just hang up my camera

Haha don't worry about lack of comments they are a shy bunch of grinners and many arn't registered to comment...a 50:1 ratio is pretty normal.

Ok the photos really arn't much to scream about. In the first the colour doesn't compliment the scene and did you edit those flowers in on her head?
    The second's colours are to flat and the third's colours are too saturated. Its good that you are experimenting with your shots but I think in the case of portraits that less is usually more.
    If you are going for the flower fairy look try just simply finding someone with some good flowers in their front yard plonk your girls in the middle of them and fire off a few shots. Try to keep the scene as natural as possible, this ensures that your girls are the main focal point of the picture and get the attention they deserve in their photos.

Don't take the critisisms as a reason to hang up your camera...as long as you enjoy shooting just keep on shooting. There are plenty of forums on here full of much more experienced grinners than me that will gladly give you all the advice and guidance that you could want.

I hope I have been helpful (and not to harsh mwink.gif ), keep on posting and shooting. Get out there and have fun with it!! ~Mark
    Life only happens once....so capture it
  • ethelethel Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2008
    thanks
    thank you for the comments, and the flowers were not edited in, they were on her head
    the colored one, the colors werent edited at all yet
    i was just trying something new
    i guess its all considered experiance, and back to the drawing board

and you were not harsh at all, but very helpful
    i guess ill keep my camera for a while yet.........

thanks again
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    ethel
    First two rules (as a common practice)....get perfect focus, get perfect exposure. The first shot converted to b&w has not met those requirements. It looks as though there is camera shake (the reason for the soft image). Work diligently on those two rules everytime you pick up the camera.....the poses, expressions, angles, etc will work much better once the rules are accomplished.

For the fairy shots (poses/flowers)....nice idea but is easily identifyable that it's an edit. Keep shooting....this stuff takes time and don't get discouraged.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I very much agree with Swartzy on the technical flaws here. But aside from that, I have to admit that I find them somewhat overdone in terms of composition and color (the last two that is). To me they seem extremely, hmmm, tacky?

But of course I am aware that's in the eye of the beholder and if you enjoy this kind of work, then by all means go for it and have fun!

Greetings,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Ethel,
    You have a beautiful daughter. Why not concentrate on shooting her simply, like the first image. The comments prior to mine are pretty much spot-on, but it seems to me you have a great model, so keep shooting! In the first image, I'd observe that the flower at the top of the image was overexposed in comparison to the girl herself.

Once you have the fundementals nailed down (as if any of us do) go crazy. By that time your daughter won't want any part of it, but that's life.

Welcome to DGrin. It's a fun place, and after a while, you'll meet people you'll find special to you, and whose opinions mean more to you than others'.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ethelethel Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2008
    thanks
    thanks to each one of you who gave a comment
    i appreciate all and will take them graciously as i
    keep trying

again all my thanks

ethel

p.s. just so you know, these are 2 different girls,
    i just wanted to clarify, but i think they look alot alike......and that they are beautiful too (just dont tell them that)

thanks again
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Perhaps I am echoing what has already been suggested......but I agree. Develop and practice your photography skills first, then, once you get a decent grip on the actual pitcher takin', develop your software skills. You have a lovely child. I look forward to seeing some more practice shots.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com