Options

Macbook Pro?

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I am wanting to order one/pick one up at the end of the week, provided Uncle Sam makes his scheduled deposit. I have been hitting the Mac Rumor sites, and it seems some think that a new MBP is due for release soon!

Since I respect all the Mac guru's over here, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to what MAY HAPPEN... Should I just get one and be happy, or should I hold off for a while?

I know I may be chasing my tail, but it is a large purchase! :bow
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I certainly wouldn't buy one now, if I didn't have to. I do believe that the next upgrade is coming very soon.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
    Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon *
    Notes* On 1st, Apple added a 2.6 GHz processor option and 250 GB Hard Drive BTO optionNovember s, but the remainder of the MacBook Pro line remained the same. This seems unlikely to represent a true update, but may push off a true revision a few months.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Thanks guys! I have an itchy trigger finger....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Should I just get one and be happy, or should I hold off for a while?
    You could drive yourself crazy with this (I bought a Mac Pro two weeks before the new one came out, and without knowing about it), but in your case it seems there is a consensus that there is a new Macbook Pro coming soon (whatever "soon" means), so I agree with David TO. I'm susceptible to "itchy trigger finger" syndrome myself, but IMO the "instant gratification" gain would be more than offset by the "two weeks old but already obsolete" pain.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were announce on Tuesday.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were announce on Tuesday.
    Even a trigger-happy guy like me could wait two days in light of that news!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Even a trigger-happy guy like me could wait two days in light of that news!

Just don't get pissed at me if it doesn't come true. But they're talking about the supply drying up in preparation for the updates. Seems reasonable!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just don't get pissed at me if it doesn't come true. But they're talking about the supply drying up in preparation for the updates. Seems reasonable!
    No chance of that -- I'm not the OP and am not in the market (now). The supply should only have dried up on Mac Pros in late December!!!

I will mention this though: I was so irate about being obsoleted less than a month after my major Mac Pro purchase (killer machine + 30" display) that, after exhausting the phone route, I wrote a two-page letter to Steve Jobs and Apple's head of retail sales. Apple actually dispatched someone to call me back, and now I have a "guy" at Apple corporate -- so the next time I do a major purchase, I'm supposed to contact him first. We shall see how, if at all, they take care of me when and if . . .
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Well I couldn't wait..... Walked into an Apple store fully intending on "just looking", walked out with a 15" Macbook Pro. If in fact the new one comes out Tuesday, I can still take this one back. If not, then no major loss. I used the file transfer option from my Mac Pro, and 40 minutes later, I am running full tilt boogie with all the Apps from the other computer! No PC could ever match that!

Here's to a fine machine regardless of whether or not that replacement is coming out on Tuesday!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Here's to a fine machine regardless of whether or not that replacement is coming out on Tuesday!
    No new machine has ever retrospectively reduced the capabilities of those already in use! :D
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    No new machine has ever retrospectively reduced the capabilities of those already in use! :D

You ever find yourself sitting in a car, and the car next to you creeps forward, and you get the momentary sensation that you're going backwards?

Just sayin'.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You ever find yourself sitting in a car, and the car next to you creeps forward, and you get the momentary sensation that you're going backwards?
    Only if you're looking at that car and not seeing anything else to keep your perspective! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Just sayin'.

Laughing.gif!!! Yes.

So far I have had this for only a few hours, and I am thrilled! Think of my perspective though, I am coming from a Windows laptop, AMD XP2400+ I think... 512MB RAM, and only a 60GB hard drive.

My new machine is WAY faster! This one actually opens Lightroom in less then 45 seconds! (No I am not exaggerating)

Oh, and the computer actually runs when I unplug it from the AC adapter. (My other one, had NANOseconds of battery life.

So overall I am....wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb

Even if that new one comes out... I think!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    anmoldagreatanmoldagreat Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2008
    the new macbook pro is rumored to have multi touch similar to that of the macbook air
    it is also guaranteed to use intel's latest processors the penryn 45nm ones
    most people are expecting the macbook air's keyboard but hopefully not and some such as myself are hoping for a sub 15in mbp but most likely not...
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Those are the same rumors I have read, and honestly if that is the only difference, then I will still be pleased with my purchase. Now.... If they make those changes and DROP the price $500... Then I will be upset at myself for not waiting.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix