Tiffany - The Stylist

jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in People
My friend Tiffany needed headshots so we did a session recently. The salon/spa where she got a new hair stylist job will be placing an ad to introduce her as their new stylist in local advertisement magazine. The exciting part is that my photo of Tiffany will be featured in the ad about her.

I don't have a professional set up so let me know how you think I did with a black Muslin backdrop, an SB800 Flash with the Gary Fong Diffuser on the camera along with 2 Home Depot Clamp lights w/ 60 watt flourescent bulbs to her left and a reflector to her right.

I know a backlight would have helped with her dark hair against the dark backdrop...

PS: I like to apply various actions...so you'll see a few applied..
247680313-XL.jpg

247359647-XL.jpg

247472476-XL.jpg

247358823-XL.jpg

247469823-XL.jpg

247472874-XL.jpg

247472100-XL.jpg

She's a hairstylist so we had some fun with the scissors...these aren't for the ad...just for fun:

247657478-L.jpg

247657989-XL.jpg
Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    For advertisements, my faves are 3, 4, and 5. I see them as being the most flattering.

From an artistic perspective, I like the first. Love her eyes! But then again, I love B&W.

BTW - it's not how much you have invested in lighting. It's what you do with it and I think you've done a wonderful job!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    These are very good, Jen. You know that I love the lighting in these. I agree with the previous post. I love the more artistic photos of Tiffany as well.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Hi, jenweavernj

Geat set of photos!bowdown.gif
    I like 2, 4 and 9 the best.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    my favs out of the bunch are 1 and 5. great shots
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Tiffany has a beautiful smile, so my vote would be for #5. Number is also nice with the smile, but I like #5 the most. Wonderful job over all.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Why not use one of the home depot lights as your back/hair light? I don't see and need for all this light to be sitting in front of and to the side of the model.

I'm not a big fan of glamor shots and over smoothing of skin. But I see why ppl like it...

#9 is my fav. I just wish the catchlight was a bit more large and whiter.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Well, I'm not going to make any friends with this post but I think the lighting is far too harsh and the post-production leaves a great deal to be desired. These photos don't do much to flatter this subject... the shadows are harsh and you've left behind bags under her eyes and lots of skin blemishes.

If you don't have the lights, do your subject a favor and use a window as key and a reflector as fill. You'll get softer, much more flattering light.

Like I said, I'm not going to win any friends from this post, but these are not the kinds of photos that "sell" this person as a hair stylist to me. Softer light, better post-production, and even showing the stylist at work would greatly improve these images.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    @ SloYerRoll - Thanks for your comments. I only used two clamp lights and I should have berought in the 2 others I have. I still learning how to light a scene...I have no training on this so I'm trying to learn from others and read lots.

I'm not a big fan of oversmoothing the skin either...I only apply a light Noise Ninja on my portraits but for some like 1, 3, 5, 7 - the actions I used really created that glamour look (which she ended up liking so that's good). I usually do one original in color and then apply a few different actions for people to choose from (not that I have a ton of experience w/ portraits yet but that's what I've done so far. :D )

@all - This is a very good forum with a lot of active members. Thanks for your comments! I'm not pro...I'm learning... using a SB800 flash with a diffuser and some clamp lights is the best I have. I took these in the evening after my day job so I could not use natural lighting.

I guess I failed to mention that we took about 100 pics...some for the ad and some for fun. I enjoy doing a funky post processing...and I apologize that I wasn't clearer regarding the shots I showed above. These were some of my favorite "FUN" photos from the shoot.

Here is a sample of the ad. She chosed the final photo and asked me throw in in a sample to see what it will look like...:

252027322-XL.jpg
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Her specialty is curly hair. I'm making an appointment!! Not far from where I live!!! I like 5 the best by the way.thumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Oi! Too bad she is in Jersey, she could tame my wifes voluminous and curly hair. :D

The photo she picked looks great. Flattering and friendly. The sheen of her hair is also a good way to advertise her art. I myself would have gone with number five.

I dunno how you word this to her, but she loses ten years by smiling!
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
    O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.
    edited February 12, 2008
    Shannon and Jay - Thanks. I loved #5 as well....no matter what I did she was convinced she wanted the one that went into the sample ad....she's one of my best friends...so I said - whatever makes her happy! :D
    Jen Rinaldi

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Wonderful work, Jen. The shot chosen for the ad was perfect for the application. Can we assume you get free hair care for ever??? She owes you.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 12, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Wonderful work, Jen. The shot chosen for the ad was perfect for the application. Can we assume you get free hair care for ever??? She owes you.
    rolleyes1.gif You betcha! She's the only one I let touch my hair! I have a stylist for life. clap.gif
    Jen Rinaldi

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif You betcha!

Hmmm . . . are you originally from Minnisota?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 12, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Hmmm . . . are you originally from Minnisota?

Nope, always a Jersey Girl. :)
    Jen Rinaldi