One shot two edits for CC

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in People
I went to the room with two windows today. They both have post processing done on them. I still need more light as my shutter speed didn't get too much over 60. But, it's a real blah day and not much natural light is coming in.

Does the shadow on her face distract too much? 253775022_5wJGq-M.jpg

253775011_XEbkC-M.jpg
This has areas that I noticed that I missed when dodging the background. I'll go back and fix those.:D
253861028_u7WMS-M.jpg

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    The shadow doesn't bother me too much. Shadows are just as important as lighting IMO. It's the blur in the shot (it doesn't look like natural blur though. maybe done in post?) and the weighting.

If you don't have light. Just push the ISO up so you can keep a good ss. Then use a third party program like noiseware or noise ninja to remove the noise.

On a side critique. The shot leans heavily to the left. I wouldn't mind this if the right half of the shot was nothing but negative space (high key) but you can see the backdrop and it gives my eyes something to look at. Then my eyes look over there and are confused since there's really nothing to look at.

make sense?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Using existing light indoors is is a real treat if you can get it right. I have no idea what lens you are using, but your depth of focus looks pretty deep. This tells me that the lens you are using was not opened up to a very large aperature. A large aperature lens...(F1.8 or 2.8).....combined with higher ISOs should give you a better shutter speed. You are lucky. I see a lot of light here, and I do not have a single spot in my home lit that well by sunlight.

Canon and Nikon(and I am sure others) both offer a 50mm F1.8 lens for under a hundred dollars. Those lenses are an excellent way to get a fast lens cheaply. This will help you get photos when the lighting is less than perfect.

I also agree with the comment on shadows. With no shadows, a face will lack the dimension needed to prevent it looking flat.

Keep shooting, and......get down at eye level with her.thumb.gif