Beanpot Hockey 2008

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited February 21, 2008 in Sports
For those of you who don't know the Beanpot College Hockey Tournment is one of the oldest in the nation. It is comprised of the four Boston schools that have Division I Hockey: Boston College, Boston University, Harvard University and Northeastern University. Boston University has won almost half of the beanpots.
Anyways a couple of pics from last night:
253590184_CA8G2-S.jpg

253594356_iLx3G-S-1.jpg

253590296_4QJcn-S.jpg

253590250_XxL7J-S.jpg

253710288_HpEgS-S.jpg

253590590_4mtqP-S.jpg

253710424_tBvVY-S.jpg

253710460_9a6Gd-S.jpg

So the earlier game started at 5pm and there were alot of empty seats. I had a hell of a time getting a good white balance. And I noticed the last time I shot the a 5pm game at the Garden I had the same problem (in these two game college double header). Then I figured out, the seats in the lodge area are yellow and black, when there is no one sitting in the seat x a couple of thousand you get a yellow cast. Ahh the exciting times of a natural lights sports photographer.

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Great shots!!! I love the Beanpot! I fell asleep last night before the game ended but I'm assuming Boston College won based on your last shot.

Stephanie
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    As always, wonderful! clap.gifclapclap.gif

These are my favorites from the bunch because you nailed the exposure, crop and also, captured the emotions/energy of the moment.
    winger wrote:
    253590590_4mtqP-Th.jpg
    and
    253590184_CA8G2-Th.jpg
    and
    253710460_9a6Gd-Th.jpg

Did you get any special access to shooting location or were you sitting from your seats?

If I ever get myself to Boston, I would love to go shooting with you!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    As always, wonderful! clap.gifclapclap.gif

These are my favorites from the bunch because you nailed the exposure, crop and also, captured the emotions/energy of the moment.

Did you get any special access to shooting location or were you sitting from your seats?

If I ever get myself to Boston, I would love to go shooting with you!

Well I had a pass because I was shooting for www.collegehockeynews.com, I used to shoot for USCHO but they just were not using my stuff, so I moved to another site. I unfortuantly had to shoot thru the glass for 2 both games, even though I had a hole marked for the 2nd game. Oh well. So that is why the shots are not super sharp. There is a considerable difference between shooting through the glass and shooting through a hole that I have noticed now that I get to do it in amherst all the time.

The wide angle shot was fun, with hockey you could shoot wide angle all game and maybe get one or two good shots out of it. But since I got a 40 D in decemeber I now have my 20D sitting lonely in my bag, I saw it sitting there figured hey I can throw my wide angle lens on here leave it on the dasher ( I had the strap wrapped around my hand so if the boys hit the boards it wouldnt go too far). And anytime they came near the boards I just rapid fired. I think I need to get some sort of better shutter release mechanism and maybe keep it on my main camera and a better securment to the boards, but we maybe seeing some other cool photos like that in the future.

As for shooting with me, yeah sure let me know!
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    those are awesomeclap.gif I love #2
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited February 20, 2008
    those are awesomeclap.gif I love #2
    Thanks, the first two were just me messing around with my now 2nd body (my old 20d was replaced with a 40d recently). So I throw wide angle lens on and just left it on the ledge and fired when people got close.

I got some decent shots, but I have to admit not one of my better games in terms of shooting. Oh well.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    /me has been missing Winger

wave.gif
    edited February 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    /me has been missing Winger

wave.gif

awww geeze

I had to change shooting outlets, the old one was never using my stuff....which was too bad I loved the site!
    So I had to move to a newer college hockey website.
    I think this link may take to you the pictoral:
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com
    Nope I lied, but it is currently the featured pictoral on the right side of the page.

We are still working out the kinks, I will be shooting some of the local NCAA regionals. I am still trying to get a pass for the frozen four, so if anyone has an outlet looking for a photographer...:)

Also I just got asked to string for some local papers, so that should be fun and new. I keep busy.

But Andy if you do that street photograhpy thing again and it works with my very busy schedule I am totally there!