Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L Ghosting Problem

nightcloudnightcloud Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 13, 2008 in Cameras
I thought I'd put this out there, do any of you have flare/ghosting issues with the 24-70L lens?

I've sent it in once already, they replaced the shutter in the Rebel XTI I have, and informed me that the lens is fine?

when ever there is a strong light source at a 45 degree angle to the lens I get this strange flare/ghost, using the hood or removing filters does nothing to stop or reduce the problem
IMG_5953.jpg
IMG_5973.jpg
IMG_7320.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 12, 2008
    Do you have a filter on the lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nightcloudnightcloud Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Do you have a filter on the lens?

yes I removed the filter for those shots.

the problem doesn't affect any of my other lenses
    18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens (non IS)
    50mm f1.8
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 12, 2008
    nightcloud wrote:
    yes I removed the filter for those shots.

the problem doesn't affect any of my other lenses
    18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens (non IS)
    50mm f1.8

Sorry, I now see where you mention the filter in the first post.

I'm afraid I don't notice the problem with my EF 28-80mm, f2.8-4L (an ancient predecessor to the 24-70mm, f2.8L.) Since it looks like the effect is fairly evident in the scene, it may also be evident in the viewfinder. I suggest trying different apertures to see if you can reduce the effect. If it reduces easily, that might be a work-a-round as well as a demonstration for Canon.

You might also try shining a single bright LED flashlight into the lens to try to simulate the effect. If you can find the angle where the effect is strongest, that might give a clue where the problem lies. It could be an internal baffle that is not correct somehow, for instance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    does this only happen with this particular lens/body combo? or does it happen when you use the lens on any body or vice versa?
    Seems like some sort of internal reflection inside the lens barrel as mentioned above.
  • nightcloudnightcloud Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    yes I am in the process of simulating the effect, thats how I found out it was roughly at a 45 degree angle or high overhead.

I don't have another body to try it out on. I will ask my local club member to help me out on that part

with the 18-55 I have a slight flare (almost minimal to non-existent) but its something I can see in the viewfinder and can avoid.
    the 24-70 on the other hand, I can't see anything in the viewfinder that would give me a clue to the flare.

stopping down doesn't solve the problem.

turning the camera sideways seems to get rid of the overhead light problem but introduces flare from the side

I will post more photos soon
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    If you are seeing it to a less degree with the kit lens, then I'm inclined to think it's the body. Maybe light coming in somewhere??? Something wrong with the lens fitting to the body???
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    No specific guesses here, all I can add is that I have never seen anything like that with my 24-70/2.8L. Seems to me something is definitely wrong with that lens, good luck.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    How the "ghosting" looks seems to change with the focal length of the lens, am I right?

It's circular speculars which arrange themselves on the circumference of a circle, the position of which shifts in the frame.

Does this give a clue as to the source?

I would not expect a lens problem to cause this kind of effect.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix