Smugmug FAQ and help probelm

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited April 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm having a consistent problem with the format of the Smugmug FAQs and help pages. Many of them use an expando/collapso format that lets you expand just the section you are interested in.

The problem for me is that I use Google with a "site:smugmug.com/help" modifier to find things. So, Google finds a page with some info about a particular topic (today I was looking for "stretchy" preferences). I go to that page. I can't for the life of me find anything on the page to do with stretchy. That's because the text that Google found is collapsed. Edit/Find in the browser won't find collapsed text. So, there's no easy way to find what it was in the page that Google thought actually matched my search. The same thing happens if I use Smugmug's help search. Try it yourself. Search for "stretchy". The first hit is this page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq.mg. Go there and try to find where it actually talks about stretchy. You can't. If you View/Page Source on the whole page, you can find the actual text, but that's what beyond what most people would even think about doing and it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a nicely formatted help page.

I think this nifty expand/collapse format is ruining search on the help pages. It only works if you search for something in a help section title, not something in the content.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Sorry we missed this post! We'll see what can be done, John - thanks for the thoughtful input, as usual. We really appreciate it.