D200 Battery life

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in Cameras
So I've read all over the web about short battery life on the D200.
I had my first chance to really put my new D200 through the motions this past weekend and it blew away all the reviews regarding battery life. (everything else was just as good as they said:D)

I took over 1200 exposures. around 50 of which were long exposures (1+second). The remaining shots were taken firing either a strobe directly mounted or PW to fire remote strobes. The avg temp was about 37 deg F. All shots taken within 4 hours. (side rant: Wow, I need allot more memory than my D50 ever did to shoot RAW!)

I know I'll get a bunch of YMMV. But taking your best guess. Do you think I can continue to see this performance? I don't mind buying a second battery, but if it's gonna run like this. battery #2 is way down on my list...

Cheers,
-Jon

Comments

• Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I bought four batteries, logic being I wanted a spare pair for my battery grip.

Now that I've run it a while, I don't use the battery grip unless I know I'm shooting candids, which isn't all that often.

If I had to do it all over again today, I'd forgo the grip but I'd own two batteries minimum, maybe three. My camera runs through them pretty fast.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    FWIW, I got a second battery for my D50, and as soon as I remember, I will be ordering a couple of new batteries from batterybarn for the D1h I just recently acquired. I wound up going through the D50's second battery twice one weekend. rolleyes1.gif (music festival weekend)
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I only get about 400 shots on my D200 but I use the display a bunch to watch what is going on with exposures and to dump pics I don't like. Saves me time with processing. My D70s definitely has much better battery life.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    i've got 2 D200 bodies and 4 batteries for 'em. each battery is good for about 500 shots w/ minor chimping before i'll swap it out (normally down to about 20% left at this point). so i guess in theory, i could probably shoot more, but this is usually about the same time i'm swapping in a new cf card too. my d3 on the other hand goes for well over 1500 images and doesn't even whine about needing a fresh battery.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Thanks all.
    I guess I'll keep a fresh battery on the top of my list. Id did seem kind of strange that my batter would last as long as it did (in the cold to boot).

Like Seymore said, I will remember this thread if I don't buy a battery and kick myself.

Another question, So if you have two batteries. Why not a battery grip?

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks all.
    I guess I'll keep a fresh battery on the top of my list. Id did seem kind of strange that my batter would last as long as it did (in the cold to boot).

Like Seymore said, I will remember this thread if I don't buy a battery and kick myself.

Cheers,
    -Jon

i'm cheap. additional weight and bulk. i'm cheap. mwink.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So I've read all over the web about short battery life on the D200.
    I had my first chance to really put my new D200 through the motions this past weekend and it blew away all the reviews regarding battery life. (everything else was just as good as they said:D)

I took over 1200 exposures. around 50 of which were long exposures (1+second). The remaining shots were taken firing either a strobe directly mounted or PW to fire remote strobes. The avg temp was about 37 deg F. All shots taken within 4 hours. (side rant: Wow, I need allot more memory than my D50 ever did to shoot RAW!)

I know I'll get a bunch of YMMV. But taking your best guess. Do you think I can continue to see this performance? I don't mind buying a second battery, but if it's gonna run like this. battery #2 is way down on my list...

Cheers,
    -Jon

Considering less than 10% of your shots were long exposures, and assuming you werent chimping at every or every other shot for more than a second, that wouldnt be surprising., sometimes, on 10% I can squeeze out another hundred shots when I'm careful enough to use the power sparingly.

P.S. you should need more memory to be shooting RAW, but as long as you're shooting compressed, it should only be a bit more than twice as much space on your memory cards..
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks all.

Cheers,
    -Jon
    You dont want to spend money.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    If you want to see your D200 suck the life out of a battery, shoot tethered. I don't understand why downloading via USB2 eats so much current, but when I shoot tethered, I only get around a hundred shots out of a newly charged EN-EL3e (I have two). That sux. It's a pita to have to use the A/C adapter, but that's what I end up doing.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 13, 2008
    Yea I have a laptop set aside already for shooting tethered. I have no need to shot tethered. But I'd like to give it a whirl just to see what all the hypes about.

And no this isn't a hijack since it's my thread.
    edited February 14, 2008
    Sounds like our pockets MV as wellrolleyes1.gif