A few of my attempts for the finals...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
It sure has been hard to get the camera to see what my mind's eye is seeing! Any critique and or suggestions are warmly welcomed!

1. Stage Door
253978328_NNc4A-L.jpg

2. The Orchard
251434314_xeqkk-L.jpg

3. Music to My Ears
251764979_8kQew-L-1.jpg

4. Persistance
252065662_ZDZ24-L.jpg

5. Making Tracks
253956622_rpVtN-L.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Tessa I love #2 and #3. #3 seems a bit soft to me (it might be my monitor) but It's a great angle and cool lighting--even though there is a lot of black I like the fall off on the trumpet and the face. If you could re-shoot and get it tack-sharp, IMO, it would make it a great shot from a very imaginative angle.

I also Like #2, but I'm a sucker for photographs that play with light.

#1 has great texture, lines, and color, with strong composition. I read in the sneak peek that you might be adding something to it, and I would love to see the end result.

The last two don't really do it for me when compared to your first three.

I think that #1 has the most potential, but #3 is better developed at this point.

Hope it helps and good luck!
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Tessa I love #2 and #3. #3 seems a bit soft to me (it might be my monitor) but It's a great angle and cool lighting--even though there is a lot of black I like the fall off on the trumpet and the face. If you could re-shoot and get it tack-sharp, IMO, it would make it a great shot from a very imaginative angle.

Tessa, I have to agree with Izzy here. I would also add that the trumpet player doesn't actually look like they are playing the trumpet, i.e. no blown up cheeks, or expression of their face, but the angle is very good

I also love photos like this, but feel that there needs to be an added element to give it something special, e.g. two people kissing :-)

#1 has great texture, lines, and color, with strong composition. I read in the sneak peek that you might be adding something to it, and I would love to see the end result.

Again I agree with Izzy, I'm really intrigued about your idea for this shot, seems to have endless potential, but that might also be a problem ne_nau.gif

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your final entry, as you've definitely showed that you've got the right stuff thumb.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008

I think that #1 has the most potential, but #3 is better developed at this point.

Thank you so much for taking the time to critique. You have pointed out issues that I wanted to ignore.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited February 13, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    Tessa, I have to agree with Izzy here. I would also add that the trumpet player doesn't actually look like they are playing the trumpet, i.e. no blown up cheeks, or expression of their face, but the angle is very good

Your comments were very nice, thank you. I agree that it doesn't look like he was playing, I think it was taken in between breaths. Your right - it would look so much better with blown cheeks, etc. I've been trying to reshoot and can't seem to get any better. I appreciate the comments, back to square one!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I Love #2!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Tessa
    #1 sceams possibilties. #2 is beautiful but might not make it through the rounds of voting. #3 is a great angle but the lighting/dynamic "look" necessary for this shot to work isn't there....also, it would have more impact if an older person were playing the horn (as in a road musician look..think jazz clubs of old).

#1 most likely will give you the best milage as it has so many cool things working for it. Can't wait to see!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    #1 sceams possibilties. #2 is beautiful but might not make it through the rounds of voting.

I like both 1 and 2. I agree that 1 has a lot more potential than 2. Maybe a fan waiting at the door? Don't know, but it needs something.

Keep up the good work!!!

-carl
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Great shots, i really like #1 and 2, possibly a wider shot of #1 would have even more impact.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    douglas wrote:
    Great shots, i really like #1 and 2, possibly a wider shot of #1 would have even more impact.

I also really like 1&2, but what I would try in case of 1 is a lower angle shot.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited February 13, 2008
    [quote=Swartzy #3 ...would have more impact if an older person were playing the horn (as in a road musician look..think jazz clubs of old).[/quote]

Good point! All the more reason to eliminate this possibility. Thank you!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 13, 2008
    douglas and pyro - thank you for your suggestions. i sure hope i get another chance to shoot this scene. we practically had a blizzard here and i'm doubtful that the snow will go away in time to reshoot. i checked out the scene today and it just doesn't look as good all filled with snow. :-(

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Hi Tessa,

I also really like #1, but felt maybe it needed something to push the story and knew you were having trouble reshooting. :cry

#2 has fantastic light and mood. When I originally saw it, my window was smaller though and it gave mae a view with some cropped off the top and the bottom. You may want to try that as it made the image even stronger to me, really drawing me in.

Best of luck to you!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Go grab a shovel =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    #1 has the strongest potentialdeal.gif . Just get that golden dress girl and play around...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited February 13, 2008
    Thanks Emily, I'll mess around with the cropping. I might be able to reshoot this, maybe I should try adding a couple holding hands or something.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    #1 has the strongest potentialdeal.gif . Just get that golden dress girl and play around...mwink.gif

Thank you!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    #1: stage door. you mentioned you got some snow and bad weather. Maybe a play on that? Perhaps a few "artists" waiting for audition in the freezing cold? Holding sheet music and some dance shoes with leotards on under their large jackets? My brother is a performer and he has been known to stand in pretty bad weather for the cattle calls in LA or NY. Just an idea. I love the idea and with you the best.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Hey Tessa,
    I vote for #1 as well and think the snow might be of help. How about a model in something extravagant trying to light up just outside the door. Hands cupped to keep the wind from extinguishing the cigarette... May need to zoom out a bit though.
    E
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Another vote for #1. I agree, though, that there needs to be something added to create interest and tension. Maybe a down-and-out actor sleeping against the wall?
    edited February 13, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    #1: stage door. you mentioned you got some snow and bad weather. Maybe a play on that? Perhaps a few "artists" waiting for audition in the freezing cold? Holding sheet music and some dance shoes with leotards on under their large jackets? My brother is a performer and he has been known to stand in pretty bad weather for the cattle calls in LA or NY. Just an idea. I love the idea and with you the best.

Interesting idea, thanks! I may have to do that! What I would miss most in the picture is the ground. I love the old leaves, cracks, loose bricks - and right now the snow has buried all of that. But the added interest of people could possibly be an equal replacement. Thanks for the suggestion!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 14, 2008
    Just one more thank you to everyone for your much appreciated critique and suggestions! After much deliberation I will go with the Stage Door which now has a 'human element' (as so many of you suggested) as part of the composition. I chose this model due to his hair, clothes, and thought his position (which matches the staircase) would least likely detract from the background, yet add some depth and interest. I hope it works!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Nice touch. Good luck
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>