edited February 14, 2008 in People
A mime in the Plaza Mayor:
254054350_VLQeV-L.jpg
Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Cheers,

Comments

• PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but here goes...This photo is wanting to be good. Looks like an interesting character. I'm not sure, but the face looks a little soft to me. The background is a little plain (obviously nothing you can do about that). And I don't think I like the crop at the knees.ne_nau.gif
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    hmmm.......I like this shot. I don't understand why only the negative things get pointed out?? Nice exposure of a surly looking character. Very nice!
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Sorry..I guess I thought it's what people wanted. Sorry if it was negative, don't get me wrong--It's not a terrible shot. I just wanted to point things out that maybe the shooter hadn't noticed. I know when I take shots, I don't notice the bad parts of my photos. So it's easir if other people point them out to me.ne_nau.gif Again, sorry if that was too negative.
    edited February 13, 2008
    Paulco,
    It's not just you (wasn't trying to single you out), but on dgrin and some others I visit....there just seems to be such constant negatives about photos. I pull up a photo and a lot of times I think "wow that's cool" and then I read on down about how "the pose looks unnatural" or "I wish that stick wasn't in the picture" or "the sky looks hazy" but hey the picture was a candid of a street person in a ditch in Los Angeles on a smoggy day....what in the heck did you expect?? Anyway.....I just think more people would post if they didn't feel intimidated (I know I would).
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    GP Images wrote:
    Paulco,
    It's not just you (wasn't trying to single you out), but on dgrin and some others I visit....there just seems to be such constant negatives about photos. I pull up a photo and a lot of times I think "wow that's cool" and then I read on down about how "the pose looks unnatural" or "I wish that stick wasn't in the picture" or "the sky looks hazy" but hey the picture was a candid of a street person in a ditch in Los Angeles on a smoggy day....what in the heck did you expect?? Anyway.....I just think more people would post if they didn't feel intimidated (I know I would).

Richard,
    I happen to agree with Paulcao on all accounts!

GP,
    I'm pretty sure Richard knows his image is sharp mwink.gif. Pointing that out for him is kinda akin to saying to Mario Andretti "wow, you can drive stick, great job". lol3.gif
    He is also a person who has been around the block a few times and definitely "can take it", and, for what little I know about him, he'd rather get direct and up to the point constructive critique rather than lukewarm pat on the back.

Dgrin, in fact, is one of the friendliest online place on the planet, and if anybody feel intimidated here... well, I don't know, maybe this pesron should not add "C&C welcome" to his/her posts ne_nau.gif

Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited February 13, 2008
    Nikolai,
    If he's "been around the block" then don't you think he knows about the cropping at the knees? Hmmmm......you would think so. You missed my point entirely. My point was this and other photos have positives about them. You can always find the negative. You are the type of responder that I am talking about. Nuf said.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 13, 2008
    Interesting discussion.

I was not at all offended by Paulcao's comments. He's right that the face is a bit soft. As for the crop, well, that was purely intentional--for better or for worse. The image is actually a radical crop from this one (which is also slightly cropped from the original):
    254196256_DhFUY-L.jpg
    I thought his outfit was the most interesting part of the pic, so I decided to rework it filling as much of the frame as I could with it. The gun was essential, but everything below that mattered less to me. Hence the square crop and amputation. The softness may be a consequence of the severity of the crop--there just weren't enough pixels left in the face. But nevertheless, I find the original post a more interesting image. YMMV, of course.

Like everyone, I love to hear nice things about my pics, but I also value constructive criticism. Of course, I'm stubborn enough that I don't always agree--as you can see. :D I think most people on Dgrin do go out of their way to find something good along with the bad, so nobody should feel intimidated about posting here.

Regards,
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Interesting discussion.
    You don't say... mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I thought his outfit was the most interesting part of the pic, so I decided to rework it filling as much of the frame as I could with it. The gun was essential, but everything below that mattered less to me. Hence the square crop and amputation. The softness may be a consequence of the severity of the crop--there just weren't enough pixels left in the face. But nevertheless, I find the original post a more interesting image. YMMV, of course.

I see your point, considering what you had to work with... Leaving a bit more of the legs would feel better (for me, that is), but in that case you'd lose the 1:1 ratio, which is a separate question (maybe at least 8x10 portrait format would do?). Also blurring the BG a little more? headscratch.gif
    Of course, this is all a neatpicking rolleyes1.gif This character is already there...thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I think the way this has unfolded is pretty cool. At first I though it looked like some putz trying to look "bad", then when I saw the wider image, I laughed out loud. It's not some putz trying to look bad . . . it's some poor dude trying to earn some coin by trying to look like some putz trying to look bad. rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for a fun image!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Great outfit!!! :D The leather photographs nicely even in the harsh light. I can see why you cropped. Especially since the BG was pretty blah. I would like to see it shot from a lower, tighter angle. Perhaps putting some emphasis on the pistol. A wide angle would be fun. What does the sign say??
    edited February 14, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I think the way this has unfolded is pretty cool. At first I though it looked like some putz trying to look "bad", then when I saw the wider image, I laughed out loud. It's not some putz trying to look bad . . . it's some poor dude trying to earn some coin by trying to look like some putz trying to look bad. rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for a fun image!

Glad you enjoyed it, Icebear, Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
    edited February 14, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Great outfit!!! :D The leather photographs nicely even in the harsh light. I can see why you cropped. Especially since the BG was pretty blah. I would like to see it shot from a lower, tighter angle. Perhaps putting some emphasis on the pistol. A wide angle would be fun. What does the sign say??

Thanks, Susan. The sign said Mannequin For Sale. I suspect a rental could also be arranged. mwink.gif

I like the idea of getting closer with a wide angle. I see the mimes here fairly often, so I may get another chance to shoot this dude. I just hope he doesn't shoot back. :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, Susan. The sign said Mannequin For Sale. I suspect a rental could also be arranged. mwink.gif

I like the idea of getting closer with a wide angle. I see the mimes here fairly often, so I may get another chance to shoot this dude. I just hope he doesn't shoot back. :D

Just make sure your lens is bigger than his pistol. The biggest gun usually wins a face-off.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.