Tonight's Dinner!

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
Well I got my reversed lens working and thought I'd test it out on my dinner! These are the results. I was using the on-camera flash and not really tweaking settings too much. Just really concentrating on focusing, which was not that easy indoors at night! Anyway, I was pretty pleased with the first results. All comments and suggestions welcome.

#1 Shiitake mushroom (about 3cm across)
254055906_Jbuc2-L.jpg

254056552_NrPmK-L.jpg

254055991_4rXqy-L.jpg

254055829_Wj2kN-L.jpg

#5 Sansai
254056161_8vsMF-L.jpg

254056269_qnm5r-L-1.jpg

#7 Peperoncino
254056397_o9JX2-L.jpg

Comments

• Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I really like the mushroom pictures, if you don't know exactly what they are it looks very abstract. However, I feel like the flash or ring light or other light source reflected off of the wetness a little too much.. but thats just me. Anyway, awesome pictures thumb.gif
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I've found that the difficulty of adjusting focus is the most frustrating aspect of shooting with a reversed lens. It's much more difficult to nail the combination of image size and focus when the lens is reversed. You chose a difficult subject for your first effort with the reversed lens. If I were you, I'd play around with a smaller subject to refine technique.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    I really like the mushroom pictures, if you don't know exactly what they are it looks very abstract. However, I feel like the flash or ring light or other light source reflected off of the wetness a little too much.. but thats just me. Anyway, awesome pictures thumb.gif

Thanks. Yeah they lighting is not good. As I said I wasn't concerned with getting any of that right. I was just messing around a bit once I got the lens reversed properly. I'll definitely be trying some more things and thinking more about the lighting etc. Thanks for the comments.
    edited February 14, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I've found that the difficulty of adjusting focus is the most frustrating aspect of shooting with a reversed lens. It's much more difficult to nail the combination of image size and focus when the lens is reversed. You chose a difficult subject for your first effort with the reversed lens. If I were you, I'd play around with a smaller subject to refine technique.

Yep, agreed. I should definitely choose something easier for prcatice. Was just messing around really, getting a feel for how the reversed lens worked. Thanks for commenting.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Well I got my reversed lens working and thought I'd test it out on my dinner! These are the results. I was using the on-camera flash and not really tweaking settings too much. Just really concentrating on focusing, which was not that easy indoors at night! Anyway, I was pretty pleased with the first results. All comments and suggestions welcome.

#1 Shiitake mushroom (about 3cm across)
    #5 Sansai
    #7 Peperoncino

Ohhhhhhhh my gosh, that is one ugly looking mushroom close up eek7.gif
    I would not have told you that was a vegetable, it looks alive with lips :oogle

Got yourself some great results there, it will be interesting to see how you go outdoors with a bug or flower.

Congratulations of figuring out how to work with the reversed lens clap.gif
    ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited February 14, 2008
    Thanks Skippy.
    When I get a bit of time I'll definitely try it outdoors. It does look pretty disgusting doesn't it! eek7.gif
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    i know its yummy but it doesnt look like it.. rolleyes1.gif

i think its the flash that makes it 'slimy'.. like #3 best of the set

i once photographed a sandwich filet americain and never pointed my (macro)lens toward anything eadible... :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited February 14, 2008
    Thanks for the comment Chrissiebeez. Nah, it actually was slimy! :D The way that particular dish is prepared, and those shiitake mushrooms are quite slimy once wet anyway!