Working on B&W with Colour

Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in People
Hey Everyone,

I was working on some poses, and took this one to see how it would turn out in B&W with a splash of colour. C&C are welcome.

Thanks
Kaylyn.jpg
Joe
North View Studio
http://www.zoradphotography.com
Montreal, Canada

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I love B&W with splash of color!! Probably my favorite. Have you tried it with a baby girl yet. Totally cute if the only thing in color is a hair bow.iloveyou.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I haven't done baby's with the colour yet. This is the first shot that I have tried it with. I do like how it has a subtleness to it. I think I will continue to experiment in this area a bit.
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I think when you do B&W with color you need to make the part of the image that is in color be of import. I think in this image, I spend the whole time looking at the clothing, not the person. So, I think in this instance it makes the image more about the clothing than the person - which is likely not the purpose of a portrait. I think something like this would work well for a company advertising clothing. But, I think the person in the photo becomes lost.
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I have to agree with you on that. After looking at it again, the colour does seem to distract from the person. Maybe if the lips or eyes were coloured instead of the clothing, it would draw more attention and make the face stand out more.
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Yeah, the selective coloring needs to be done on areas of focus.thumb.gif The shot is just a little to tight for me also. Maybe just to not cut off the legs/feet.ne_nau.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I am not a big fan of selective coloring. I have seen it work really nicely only a handfull of times in portraiture....have seen quite a good many nice selectively colored landscapes. More often than not it comes off as.....cheesy.

Of course this is only my opinion.....for what that is worth.biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    well regardless of whether you like it or not, i believe (or see) the face is greenish.. eek7.gif that shouldnt be right..

nice try though! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I kind of like selective color now and then, but a pale green sweater wastes the idea, in my opinion. Try it on another image; you've got the tools now!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I prefer it used when you wish to call out some object specifically, say perhaps the bracelet on her arm. Coloring her clothes seems overly distracting, IMHO
  • mrpillesmrpilles Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Cropped just below her sweater, in spite of cutting off her hand avoids that "crotchy" look and is just as interesting.