Options

A last goodbye

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Last year this place became one of my favorite locations to go shoot. It is no longer safe to go here, so these are the last shots I'll have from the place. I'm actually surprised at how much I'll miss it. At least I'll have pictures to remind me of it.

Snake
253959837_DkXHu-L-2.jpg

Schematics
253959984_FLA6f-L-2.jpg

Retired
253960190_URrZs-L-2.jpg

Stolen Copper
253960620_WoNJG-L-2.jpg

Short Bus
253961153_LpbxR-L-2.jpg

Alone
253961387_q7eFF-L-2.jpg

Natur über alles
253960908_B9SgT-L-2.jpg

The rest of the gallery is over here.

C&C always encouraged, and thanks for looking.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Last year this place became one of my favorite locations to go shoot. It is no longer safe to go here, so these are the last shots I'll have from the place. I'm actually surprised at how much I'll miss it. At least I'll have pictures to remind me of it.

Alone
    253961387_q7eFF-L-2.jpg

I have one word to describe this image:

Magic.

As for the loss of this wonderful place to photograph - I understand. Old decaying structures are my FAVORITE place to photograph.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:

Snake
    Schematics
    Retired
    Stolen Copper
    Short Bus
    Alone
    Natur über alles
    The rest of the gallery is over here.
    C&C always encouraged, and thanks for looking.

Hey there Travis, I love that second last shot too.
    The cracked walls in that image, and I'm assuming that is some kind of old heating unit ....... what a cool case surrounding it.

Yeah I can see how you can love exploring these places like you do.

Great Series clap.gif thanks for sharing ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    swintonphoto & skippy - Thanks guys! That is the 3rd or 4th time I tried to take a picture of that heater. It is/was sitting in the bath/lockerroom at the top of the building and is just sitting there waiting for someone to take a picture of it. Each time I went there I tried different things and none of them worked until this last time. I'm really happy with the way it came out. I'm glad I finally got it :ivar
    Travis
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    i like the lot but the last photo struck me!

any chance you could go back and photograph that one from different angles, its a great subject! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Great shots!

I love the schematic (what can I say, I'm an engineer) and the last shot with the tree.

It a shame that you won't be able to go back, but safety is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008

any chance you could go back and photograph that one from different angles, its a great subject! clap.gif

Yeah, that one is actually still accessible, but in a really nasty part of town. I've got shots of similar subjects (ie. trees growing through/around/over man made stuff) that I haven't processed yet. At least one more. When I get home I'll post some of them.
    Travis
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008

The old heater is super, but the tree/vine beg a closer inspection (and maybe in B&W)!!! You're lucky to find the old stuff..........it just isn't available in So. Cal...at least, not where I can find it. We are so paranoid of lawsuits here, that just about everything private is fenced off, whether it is safe or not. Do you have to do some 'fence-climbing' to gain access? It's hard to find open space here, too, but when you do.........it's fenced off as well. Hope you find some new places to explore!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    I'd have to go with the old heater shot as well.

Seeing stuff like that always makes me wonder what happened to make them
    just abandon the place. It's the modern equiv of a ghost town.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    You've got a wonderful set of shots there. thumb.gif Still looking for a magical place like that locally.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky