Options

I have a question???

Stitch1023Stitch1023 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 14, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello everyone. This is my first post and as you can tell I am a "newbie". I am not a pro by any means but I signed up for the pro account becasue some day I would like to be in a position to sell my photos as I advance. I also just loved the way smug mug looked!

So I am in situation where a took some pictures and a bunch of friends want to order copies. I figured this would be a great way to start. The problem is I am not registered as a business and I have not supplied a w9 to Smug Mug becasue I am not registered as a business.

So my question is...how does this work? Can I just register under my name and sell a few picures through the year until I become more serious. I live in Florida and I am not sure what is required in order to do so. I want to do everything by the books and pay my taxes but I don't want to register for a full blown business just as an individual. Does that makes sense?

Any help would be appreciated....

Jennifer

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Jennifer, i live in FL and i have no registered business, for a couple of bucks that you are making selling prints to your friends, i wouldn't worry about 1009 or any of that stuff.
    As time goes by, and you see that you can make a profit, then yes, go ahead and register your business, and at the year end see what you can report (is it over $600.00?) as your income.

Good luck!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Stitch1023 wrote:
    The problem is I am not registered as a business and I have not supplied a w9 to Smug Mug becasue I am not registered as a business.

You don't have to be registered as a business to submit the W9 to Smugmug.

See here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/reporting
    (click on the Details under item 1 (Show us the Paperwork)). Basically, your name, your SSN, and your smugmug email address are needed.
  • Options
    Stitch1023Stitch1023 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2008
    Thank you
    I knew I could count on you guys for answers. Thank you so much for all your help!