A Trip To Chile

aarondlaarondl Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 13, 2008 in Journeys
My wife and I backpacked through some of Chile (it's a big country) in January.

Here is a little bit of the trip.

We started in Santiago. I have a good friend there who showed us around the city, that is important anytime you are visiting a big city where you don't speak the language well. This is an amazing city. It has 9 million + people, and is incredibly vibrant. The subway system is really good, and the nightlife is excellent, if you know where to go. We had a really good stay in Santiago.

Looking Down On Santiago -
chile08_th_053.jpg

People On The Street Corner
chile08_th_104.jpg

Building In Santiago
chile08_th_119.jpg

Street Vendor In Santiago
chile08_th_138.jpg

Then we flew south to Puerto Montt, and immediately headed up to the little town of Puerto Varas. It's kind of a tourist town, but hey, we needed access to the area. Plus it has a great view of the magnificent Volcán Osorno, from across the lake. During this time, we hitchhiked (successfully until we were stranded in the middle of nowhere), we swam in emerald lakes, we took a ferry ride into the Andes on Lago Todos los Santos, we stayed in some rustic hospedajes (homes with beds for travelers), and we basically went around slack-jawed at the beauty of this area, called the Lake District (aka Patagonia Lite). One of the towns we visited was Petrohue, which is in an area that I think is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited, and I've been around. It is fantastic.

The Small Town of Petrohue
chile08_th_431.jpg

Boats On Lago Todos Los Santos
chile08_th_438.jpg

Volcán Osorno
chile08_th_444.jpg

The Valley Near Peulla
chile08_th_531.jpg

On Lago Todos los Santos (All the Saints)
chile08_th_554.jpg

On Lago Todos los Santos (All the Saints)
chile08_th_560.jpg

Volcán Osorno
chile08_th_562.jpg

Volcán Puntiagudo
chile08_th_565.jpg

Dock At Our Hospedaje
chile08_th_575.jpg

From there, we went on to Valdivia and Pucon, and ended up climbing a volcano. However, I'll put that into another post.

For about 300 pictures from this trip, check out the Chile Backpacking Trip on my Photo Website.