Share group frustration

mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
edited February 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm hoping there is a simple answer that I'm not finding with my numerous searches...

If I create a share group with a collection of galleries (all in the same category/subcategory) everything works fine until someone tries to back track using the breadcrumbs... They end up with a message "No galleries found" because all the galleries are unlisted.

Is there some way to tweak the breadcrumbs for share groups to "home" back to the original group link?

So far the only viable option I've found is to disable breadcrumbs completely, but that forces the viewer to use the back button as the only way to climb back up the navigation tree so they can view other galleries which is a real pain if they have looked at numerous pictures.

Is there a way to make an unlisted category (or better subcategory) that doesn't show up on the home page but all the galleries within are otherwise visible (so a direct link to the category/subcategory is required to find them)?

Thanks!

Mark

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    I'm hoping there is a simple answer that I'm not finding with my numerous searches...

If I create a share group with a collection of galleries (all in the same category/subcategory) everything works fine until someone tries to back track using the breadcrumbs... They end up with a message "No galleries found" because all the galleries are unlisted.

Is there some way to tweak the breadcrumbs for share groups to "home" back to the original group link?

So far the only viable option I've found is to disable breadcrumbs completely, but that forces the viewer to use the back button as the only way to climb back up the navigation tree so they can view other galleries which is a real pain if they have looked at numerous pictures.

Is there a way to make an unlisted category (or better subcategory) that doesn't show up on the home page but all the galleries within are otherwise visible (so a direct link to the category/subcategory is required to find them)?

Thanks!

Mark
    About the only way to keep the breadcrumbs alive is to use either public galleries or password protected galleries.

Try this, make all the galleries you want to share password protected and public. Set the same password in all those galleries. This way your viewers will only have to enter the password once. Have all the galleries in the same category and hide the category on your homepage using the following hack from devbobo: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=432217&postcount=8

Then all you have to do is send the direct link to the category and the password to your viewers. I use it for several categoreis without any problems.

I'm sure there are other ways, and maybe someone will pop in with their way :)
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but I found an even better solution (just had to keep searching).

Best of all, you posted it here.

rolleyes1.gif

This is exactly what I was hoping for, it keeps breadcrumbs totally functional but hides subcategories I don't want made public.

The only (minor) negative is that a resourceful hacker can read out the hidden subcategories by looking at the page source. Its a chance I'm willing to take.
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but I found an even better solution (just had to keep searching).

Best of all, you posted it here.

rolleyes1.gif

This is exactly what I was hoping for, it keeps breadcrumbs totally functional but hides subcategories I don't want made public.

The only (minor) negative is that a resourceful hacker can read out the hidden subcategories by looking at the page source. Its a chance I'm willing to take.
    Glad you found it, I forgot about that one. Re: page source, thats why I would go with p/w's too....Yell back if you need anything....