C & C Welcome
D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
http://aperturefocus.com

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    You've got a great looking model
    Scope out some bg's that compliment her....nothing busy...bring her out aways from the bg as well for some shots. Have her move slowly, talking with her as angle of face, body, arms, one foot toe down, etc. Move around her as well for different camera angles as you talk with her..stay in communication with your model and she'll look "less" rigid in posing. Get low, get high, get angled...zoom in so she fills the frame and not the surroundings.

Some food for thought.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Regarding the background, I see a brick wall you could have used right behind her on her right side.
    Or you may have been able to use the bigger pole from the other picture since she's standing. Pick a white point from her shirt and lessen the shadows, IMO.
    Let me know if you want me to remove.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I think that bg is fine, but I think it would be better suited if the model was in sharp focus and the bg blurred out
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I'm only posting this because C&C was invited...

I'd work on a few things that people already touched base on and a few others.

- The model is way to stiff for a full body pose. She has decent curves but you don't capture them. All I see is a "say cheese" pose all in anticipation for the shutter then she relaxes. Get her to relax before you take the shot.

- The b/g is a bit busy. But I'm amazed that no one has commented that it's crooked as well. This can be corrected in pp. But should have been more thought out on location in regards to either creating a more shallow DOF or different b/g altogether.

- The shot is definately underexposed. Once again, this can be corrected in post. There's a time for dark shots and I'm a big fan of them. But a shot of a cute girl in the summertime (or looks to be summer) is not one of those times.
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    im a rook, but it looks to me you need more light on the subject..:D
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    im a rook, but it looks to me you need more light on the subject..:D

Not sure about having her stand in front of a pole, having it come out of her head and between her legs is very awkward.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Looking at it again. The steps and column behind her, would make for a really relaxed pose as another poster above had mentioned an issue with her stiffness.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Oh I thought I did mention it. I did adjust the straightness of the pole in my edit.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments!
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Scope out some bg's that compliment her....nothing busy...bring her out aways from the bg as well for some shots. Have her move slowly, talking with her as angle of face, body, arms, one foot toe down, etc. Move around her as well for different camera angles as you talk with her..stay in communication with your model and she'll look "less" rigid in posing. Get low, get high, get angled...zoom in so she fills the frame and not the surroundings.

Some food for thought.

WOW! This is some of the best advice I've seen here in regards to shooting people. thumb.gif If only I had read this (and taken it seriously) when I first started! Very, very, very good advice here.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Aw shucks Pete
    It weren't nothin :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552