Soccer tournament, contest photos, boys and girls

djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited February 17, 2008 in Sports
I was at a soccer tournament this past weekend, and they are having a photo contest for pictures from the tournament. I thought that I would post them here too, for comments and feedback! :D

I have only edited the boys so far, so here are some good ones and the rest can be seen from: http://djpics.smugmug.com/gallery/4332445_rPcnJ (I am currently uploading them, there are 40 total)

254295339_WGPZF-M.jpg

254295587_7tWW2-M.jpg

254296174_5SnkC-M.jpg

254297803_UxHgV-M.jpg

254300433_nSaM6-M.jpg

I'll probably have the girl's photos done by tomorrow night, lot of work to pick the best and touch them up!

Comments

• djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Here are the girl's photos: http://djpics.smugmug.com/gallery/4332448_N3yYF

I am sort of suprised nobody has posted yet, maybe it is because today is valentines day? headscratch.gif This is the first time I have really posted pictures on dgrin...

254472067_VxyET-M.jpg

254472424_gDPXr-M.jpg

254473531_3rurD-M.jpg

254475378_TSmtL-M.jpg

254477647_AqssF-M.jpg

254480213_T4Dr3-M.jpg

254484709_vGVmJ-M.jpg

254488554_GhGvK-M.jpg

Hope you all like them!
    Happy Valentines Day :D
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Here are the girl's photos: http://djpics.smugmug.com/gallery/4332448_N3yYF

I am sort of suprised nobody has posted yet, maybe it is because today is valentines day? headscratch.gif This is the first time I have really posted pictures on dgrin...

You should posted much sooner, so we could have helped you with your camera settings. Because they aren't close to what they should be for producing great sports shots.

First, you're shooting ISO1600 outdoors, in daylight. eek7.gif That's why your shots are so noisy. Should be 200-400, depending on conditions.

155937921_iBb6t-L.jpg
    Second, you're shooting at F8 to F11, causing too much DOF and in some cases, too slow shutter speeds.

254484709_vGVmJ-L.jpg

The 'preferred' look in sports shots is a shallow DOF, which blurs the background, and isolates the player(s). But your settings aren't allowing that.

I'm assuming your lens's only goes down to f5.6. Next time out, set it there, and switch to aperture priority. That will allow for a shallower DOF, while also allowing the fastest shutter speed. Lower your ISO down to around 400. You will start seeing better image quality. Also, try shooting more in 'portrait' mode, instead of 'landscape'. It will help fill the frame with your subjects better.

254477647_AqssF-L.jpg

Your timing is good, though.

Here are a couple of examples of F4 blurring the background, and how shooting in portrait mode can fill the frame better;

254674393_jNXfm-XL.jpg

254674394_8oi8o-XL.jpg

Not trying to sound harsh, just trying to help. :D
    edited February 16, 2008
    Hey man, critic away! I am here to learn and improve :D

I've never fiddled much with the ISO and DOF settings much, just found what seemed to work and went with it. That was about 2 or 3 years ago, I've learned a lot about photoshop since then but not to much more about my camera settings...

I understand ISO pretty well (higher= faster but grainy, lower= slower but less grainy) but I'm not very clear about what the F4 to F25 mean.

FYI: I have a Canon Xti, and I shoot in 'Program' mode not 'landscape'. I am confused as to why you would shoot action shots in 'portrait' mode, isn't that for relatively still subjects?

Thanks about the timing, it helps when you understand the sport that you are shooting. Especially when you can anticipate the subject’s next action!

Do I know you? That first photo of yours has Sam and Robby in it headscratch.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Hey man, critic away! I am here to learn and improve :D

I understand ISO pretty well (higher= faster but grainy, lower= slower but less grainy) but I'm not very clear about what the F4 to F25 mean.

it's also about sensitivity to light. The higher ISOs are more sensitive, so if you're too high on a sunny day, you often end up overly bright as well as excessively grainy.
    FYI: I have a Canon Xti, and I shoot in 'Program' mode not 'landscape'. I am confused as to why you would shoot action shots in 'portrait' mode, isn't that for relatively still subjects?

here, "landscape" and "portrait" refer to the orientation of the camera and not the "mode" of shooting on the dial. It refers to whether the resulting picture is wider than it is high (landscape) or higher than it is wide (portrait). Just turn your camera 90 degrees to shoot in portrait orientation.

So to improve on your shots, you need to move out of prgram mode. Choose AV (aperature priority). This refers to the diameter of the aperature (or the opening that lets light onto the sensor). The lower the number for the aperature (i.e., f/4 is lower than f/10), the more light comes in, which allows you to shoot at a faster shutter speed (thus stopping the action better w/ out motion blur) and it also creates the typically more pleasing blurry background.

If you have to shoot in one of the program modes, choose the sports mode and that'll get you at least part way there. But you'd be better off pulling out your camera manual and learning the ins/outs of your camera. You'd end up with better image quality for less time in post processing.

good luck and keep learning. You've got a reasonable eye for action, so if your camera technique improves, your photos will be very good.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    You caught some good action with a good eye, but you've missed with these photos for all of the reasons that have been stated.

Open your lens and keep your shutterspeed up. I shoot most of my soccer photos at f2.8 if possible.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Do I know you? That first photo of yours has Sam and Robby in it headscratch.gif
    Don't think so, I shoot in Indiana.

Colleen and Mitch gave you some good advice, as well.

I haven't visited the Sports forum here much lately.
    It's a shame that your thread was viewed 100 times or so before someone offered help.

Keep us posted as to your progess. thumb.gif
    edited February 17, 2008
    Heh, silly me. I didn't realize that the photo was mine, sometimes I don't remember all my photos (It's the weekend recovery shock). I'm in North Carolina :D

I am definitely shooting with different settings my next game! I'll certainly post back with my new pics, although I do not think I have anything to go to until next weekend...

FYI: I have a Canon lens: 75-300mm and F4-5.6.

For soccer, I find the 'portrait' orientation of shooting to be harder and the 'landscape' mode fits people better. Although I do shoot 'portrait' for basketball games because more of the action is vertical than horizontal. I find gym lighting to be difficult, and I only really have one good lens (the one mentioned above), I assume that a gym would call for different settings? I am unsure how low I can go with the ISO and still have no motion blur...

One other question: I use an ultraviolet filter for sunny soccer games and a skylight filter for overcast days or the gym. Does that affect how low I can set the ISO? I know that the ultraviolet filter makes the colors look warmer on a sunny day, but it's too dark for the gym or overcast days.