What do you use your Function button on the D200 for?

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Cameras
I've read up and down about it. Played w/ all of the options. But I'd like to hear from the people that have shot w/ this camera for a while.

Which function do you use and why?

(In case I'm not being clear. I'm talking about the front button directly underneath the DOF preview button)

Comments

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've read up and down about it. Played w/ all of the options. But I'd like to hear from the people that have shot w/ this camera for a while.

Which function do you use and why?

(In case I'm not being clear. I'm talking about the front button directly underneath the DOF preview button)

I use it for {function}, whether or not your needs are met by it, that is your decision, sir ;P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    I use it for {function}, whether or not your needs are met by it, that is your decision, sir ;P.
    Thanks Mike,

I'm interested in hearing the WHY more than the what though. I've read the manual. Stared at the screen playing around. I'm sure after a while, I'd find my "sweet spot" for this. I'm just wondering about others.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks Mike,

I'm interested in hearing the WHY more than the what though. I've read the manual. Stared at the screen playing around. I'm sure after a while, I'd find my "sweet spot" for this. I'm just wondering about others.

I dont really know. Seriously though, it all depends on the shooter. Id say just try different functions, and try to figure out which one suits you best.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I think what he is trying to get at is he is a new user of the D200 and would like to hit the ground running with using the function by getting ideas and tips from experienced users. As I am looking into possibly getting a D200, I think it's an interesting question.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    ^Exactly.
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    If you've not found the Nikonians site already, it has a wealth of information. Here is a link that contains a spreadsheet for loading presets on the D200. I found a similar post for the D300. It really helped me to understand the various features, and provided recommend settings for Landscape, Portrait, P&S, etc.

So far, I found that its been the most helpful for quickly setting the camera for bracketing exposures.

Hopefully this helps.

Dale
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I use it to change AF modes.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"