Graduation Pictures - C&C welcomed

mbg0333mbg0333 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited February 15, 2008 in People
Ok so tomorrow is my big graduation photo shoot and first real job using my new lighting. I had the oppurtunity to pre setup and use my girlfriends nephew as my sample model. Let me know what you think!!

Any suggestions as far as packages and prices would also be appreciated?

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    The little guy is adorable. I've given some thought to this market for a photo business. I have been shooting sports and love working with the kids between 4 and 8, so thought this might be a great way to keep working with that age group.
    Anyway, I digress. My comments are:
    1. Your background/foreground is too busy - the bookcase might be okay on its own, I'd like to see it though - if you are going to use the bookcase, move the subject further away so that you can blur the books some more.
    The globe by itself would work, I think. It's a cute prop for this kind of photo. The scroll, as you likely know, is very traditional and cute too. Anyway, I don't think you should use them all together.
    2. For package pricing suggestions head over to the Mind Your Own Business forum - you should get some good tips there.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. I am really fond of my kids preschool and kindergarten pics - really show their personality.

ann
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    One other thought on the background-- maybe a bit darker would help. Great concept and subject and the photos are just about there-- and a little darker background would help, in my opinion.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I would agree with Anne - you need to get the books and the bookcase more out of focus. Or you are going to have people doing what I was doing; reading the titles of the books in the shot!

Pull the subject further away from the bookcase and use a wide open aperture and really fade them out. I think that you will be more pleased with the result.

Also on the one shot it looks like it was shot downward on the child. The other two seem to be shot at the level of the child - which is preferable. Thanks for sharing these - you have a really good start here to me.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw