Some more Seattle shots

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Landscapes
I have a (long-winded) excuse! I was without camera for two weekends (an eternity it turns out), and was in desperate need of a fix as my withdrawl symptoms were becoming unbearable.

So, I got the camera back a few days ago, but the weather hasn't been great (almost complete cloud cover at dawn and dusk), but Thursday (today) looked promising. I had planned to blow off work (by taking a vacation day, yeah, I'm a rebel), and go away somewhere and take some nice natural landscapes (rivers, mountains, etc.). Then I found out I had a mandatory morning meeting at 9AM, and would have to show up at work (it's the only way I can barely afford camera equipment, unfortunately). So my options went from 50 miles away from home to 10 minutes away from work.

I decided to go to Kerry Park north of downtown Seattle, the most cliche spot in the city, but I didn't care, I wanted to take some photos, and I could still make it to work for the meeting afterward.

I arrived about 15 minutes before dawn, setup my tripod, go to put my camera on it... and realize that I forgot to screw on the tripod plate onto my camera after I got my camera back from repair!!! :cry

So I effectively had no tripod at all, fortunately there was a spot where I could place my camera bag and use it as a make-shift tripod (and it worked as badly as you can imagine). It took forever to compose a shot, and was hard to nail the focus, and it prevented me from doing some large panoramas (though the last photo is a panorama of two horizontal compositions).

Anyway, it was worth it as I was treated to the best sunrise I've ever seen at Kerry Park (even though I couldn't get all the shots I wanted).

Here's a sampling, full gallery (with all my Kerry Park shots including today) at http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/3386586_8eiDt

254588623_A5VJ3-L.jpg

254588956_roMBM-L.jpg

254589529_akNYd-L.jpg

Comments

• ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Wow that sky is amazing. Nice shots!
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I have a (long-winded) excuse! I was without camera for two weekends (an eternity it turns out), and was in desperate need of a fix as my withdrawl symptoms were becoming unbearable.

So, I got the camera back a few days ago, but the weather hasn't been great (almost complete cloud cover at dawn and dusk), but Thursday (today) looked promising. I had planned to blow off work (by taking a vacation day, yeah, I'm a rebel), and go away somewhere and take some nice natural landscapes (rivers, mountains, etc.). Then I found out I had a mandatory morning meeting at 9AM, and would have to show up at work (it's the only way I can barely afford camera equipment, unfortunately). So my options went from 50 miles away from home to 10 minutes away from work.

I decided to go to Kerry Park north of downtown Seattle, the most cliche spot in the city, but I didn't care, I wanted to take some photos, and I could still make it to work for the meeting afterward.

I arrived about 15 minutes before dawn, setup my tripod, go to put my camera on it... and realize that I forgot to screw on the tripod plate onto my camera after I got my camera back from repair!!! :cry

So I effectively had no tripod at all, fortunately there was a spot where I could place my camera bag and use it as a make-shift tripod (and it worked as badly as you can imagine). It took forever to compose a shot, and was hard to nail the focus, and it prevented me from doing some large panoramas (though the last photo is a panorama of two horizontal compositions).

Anyway, it was worth it as I was treated to the best sunrise I've ever seen at Kerry Park (even though I couldn't get all the shots I wanted).

Here's a sampling, full gallery (with all my Kerry Park shots including today) at http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/3386586_8eiDt

nice shots, all things considered!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    nice shots, all things considered!
    Hi Eric, I edited your reply to remove the full-image quote. It can get quite cumbersome for viewers down the line! :D

Ron, it was a worthy sunrise to catch, even with the universe conspiring against you. I hope you get to go shooting again soon thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Beautiful, and good for you for making time! I understand both the need to shoot, and why Kerry Park is the 'cliche' shot - its a spectacular view!

ann
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Ron, again great shots!

I remember seeing that sunrise yesterday from the bus and thinking that I really wish that didn't need to be at work. Come to think of it I said about the exact same thing to myself this morning while heading to work (two amazing sunrises in a row!).
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Ron, it was a worthy sunrise to catch, even with the universe conspiring against you. I hope you get to go shooting again soon thumb.gif
    At least my cat didn't urinate on my camera bag while my camera was away for repair! (Wait, my cat did do that...) headscratch.gif
    edited February 15, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Ron, again great shots!

I remember seeing that sunrise yesterday from the bus and thinking that I really wish that didn't need to be at work. Come to think of it I said about the exact same thing to myself this morning while heading to work (two amazing sunrises in a row!).

No kidding! Today was awesome, pink, red, purple, etc., I can't remember the last time we had two incredible sunrises like that back to back. Lots of clouds, but not overcast, perfect conditions. I stupidly thought the weather was going to be crap based on an earlier forecast so didn't even think about bringing my camera. Hopefully there'll be another one tomrrow, I'll be prepared, and armed with a tripod I can actually use :D
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    No kidding! Today was awesome, pink, red, purple, etc., I can't remember the last time we had two incredible sunrises like that back to back. Lots of clouds, but not overcast, perfect conditions. I stupidly thought the weather was going to be crap based on an earlier forecast so didn't even think about bringing my camera. Hopefully there'll be another one tomrrow, I'll be prepared, and armed with a tripod I can actually use :D

One forecast calls for a sunny Saturday with fog in the morning. So does the fog covered city look best close up from above at Kerry Park, or from a distance taking it all in at Alki?:D

Maybe I'll see you out there tomorrow morning.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    edited February 15, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    One forecast calls for a sunny Saturday with fog in the morning. So does the fog covered city look best close up from above at Kerry Park, or from a distance taking it all in at Alki?:D

Maybe I'll see you out there tomorrow morning.

I think fog would look best from Alki, nice and moody over the water in Elliott Bay, but I think the sunrise would look better from Kerry Park (I don't think you could go wrong the last two days at either location).

I think I'm going to hit Snoqualmie Falls tomorrow for dawn/sunrise, if I can get anywhere near the same color as Kerry Park, that'd be great. I'll drop you a line next time I'm shooting in Seattle, which could be as early as Sunday (though I might want to do some sunset shots at a beach somewhere too).

There's not enough days in the week!