need help with sharpness and "pop"

LeggyLeggy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 15, 2008 in People
I would like some input. I am just starting off and using a D100 in RAW. I beleive I am in the range of having correct exposure, am not using "reposturize" or whatever for .jpeg but still am having a hard time getting colors to pop and eliminating grain. Please help!:dunno
This shot obviously needs some cropping and touch up (glare in artwork, mom's hand shadow on wall). I'm looking for help specifically with color, punch and grain.
Thank you!!!

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    First - Welcome. You're going to love it here.

This image is too small for any work to be meaningful. Do you have a larger version hosted somewhere?

Have you looked at the tutorials? Take a look at the menu above for a start in the right direction. There's information in the tutorials covering pop and other things.

Have you looked around in the "Finishing School" forum for hints and clues?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I wouldn't say that what you are asking is impossible, but I do believe you would be better served with a different starting point.
    If a reshoot is possible.....

1- ask mom to get behind the camera and flash to get Babie's attention.

2- Remove the book from the table.

3- get in a little closer

4- expose for the baby
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Hello there welcome to Dgrin. It looks like you have a good starting point with a willing victim :D. I think better exposure would probably get you a long way towards many of the things that you are lookng for. The exposure feels about a full stop or more under exposed. I think a re-shoot as suggested above is a good idea to get a good starting point for constructive critque. When you post, try a bit bigger image with EXIF.
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Was this shot with the pop up flash on your camera? It looks like you were under-powered from a flash standpoint for this subject matter. I would really recommend getting a separate strobe for your camera - to get more flash power.

Fill the frame with your subject - there is too much going on in this shot - too many other things to draw the viewers eye away from what I can only assume is the main subject - the child. Get the baby to take up most of the frame and things will work out better.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to more of your work being posted.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    This is far from perfect, but are you going for something like this?

20080216-g9sg3t2p45sew69iibj54p14p5.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops