Sub-category help please

JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I’d be much obliged if someone would be willing to help me fix a problem with my sub-categories and galleries. I think I know what I want. I just don’t know how to do it. For some reason, smugmug customization is my <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Waterloo</st1:place></st1:city>.
<o:p> </o:p>
On my homepage, if you click Portraits, you then see a page with two (Portrait) sub-categories named Studio Portraits and Environmental Portraits. Below that on the same page is one (Portrait) gallery named Maternity. I don’t remember why I set it up this way.
It now seems to me that the two (Portrait) galleries named Studio Portraits and Environmental Portraits should appear right next to Maternity in the (Portrait) gallery area. So, I think I want to eliminate the subcategories.
If I go into the Studio Portrait gallery and choose customize gallery from the tools menu, I see where I can change the sub-category menu to say “none.” Is this what I should do? Will all the keywords and special codes just move with the gallery? If I set sub-categories to none, will it eliminate all galleries underneath it?
Or, will this involve moving galleries in some other way?
Thank you,
Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited February 15, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    On my homepage, if you click Portraits, you then see a page with two (Portrait) sub-categories named Studio Portraits and Environmental Portraits. Below that on the same page is one (Portrait) gallery named Maternity. I don’t remember why I set it up this way.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    It now seems to me that the two (Portrait) galleries named Studio Portraits and Environmental Portraits should appear right next to Maternity in the (Portrait) gallery area. So, I think I want to eliminate the subcategories.
    <o:p></o:p>
    If I go into the Studio Portrait gallery and choose customize gallery from the tools menu, I see where I can change the sub-category menu to say “none.” Is this what I should do? Will all the keywords and special codes just move with the gallery? If I set sub-categories to none, will it eliminate all galleries underneath it?
    Or, will this involve moving galleries in some other way?
    Thank you,
    Jim
    Jim -
    You found the right thing to do. If you change the sub-category to none for those galleries, they will again show just in the portraits category. There is no change to keywords or anything else you've associated with the photos. And if you change both of the galleries currently in subcategories within Portraits, your viewers will no longer see any subcategories for Portraits. That is, until you decide to assign galleries to the subcategories again.

--- Denise
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    It worked. Thank you so much Denise.

I owe you. :D

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/