watermark manipulation and removal

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited February 16, 2008 in SmugMug Support
In last months Popular Photography mag there was a small article that talked about how easy it is to steal an image off the web and remove the watermark.

As a pro user I have watermarked images, right click protection on and largest viewing size is large for all images.

If you can take a screen shot of an image in large view, save it as a jpeg, convert to a tiff, then re-save as a jpeg again, you can apparently remove the watermark. Mind you, the image quality may not be good, but in a technical aspect, is this really possible?

Or does the watermark feature that smugmug uses on our images displayed not able to be removed maliciously this way. I don't want to give any "dishonest web browsing picture stealer my space using thief :D" any ideas from this post, but I just wanted a bit of insight on this issue.

Thanks.
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    J.T. wrote:
    In last months Popular Photography mag there was a small article that talked about how easy it is to steal an image off the web and remove the watermark.

As a pro user I have watermarked images, right click protection on and largest viewing size is large for all images.

If you can take a screen shot of an image in large view, save it as a jpeg, convert to a tiff, then re-save as a jpeg again, you can apparently remove the watermark. Mind you, the image quality may not be good, but in a technical aspect, is this really possible?

Or does the watermark feature that smugmug uses on our images displayed not able to be removed maliciously this way. I don't want to give any "dishonest web browsing picture stealer my space using thief :D" any ideas from this post, but I just wanted a bit of insight on this issue.

Thanks.
    The watermark is part of the generated displayed photos not a layer and
    your original is not touched. As long as you disabled originals you should
    have no problem. Of course, if you have a WM that can be cropped off like
    along an edge ...
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    JT, why don't you try it?

138586521_hS5Hk-X3.jpg