Options

Unfinished download from camera

rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited February 16, 2008 in Finishing School
Has anyone ever run into this? I was downloading off my Canon 20D after taking about 30 shots of wild turkey this morning. During the download the camera kept hanging up on this photo. I tried a few times but no go. I skipped over this and finished up and this is what was in the folder. The camera had about five more photos taken after this shot. All OK.

I then went back and dragged the photo from the camera seperately onto my desktop. That one was OK. Photoshop gave me a message of the unfinished one that it may be "truncated or not finished". Any ideas what happened? Never seen this before. Card going bad?

1. From camera to a folder:
255019430_GjXd9-M.jpg

from the folder and dragged onto my desktop.

255021886_rxHRV-M.jpg

Thank you for taking a look.
Rich

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    What software are you using. Apparently you are downloading directly from the Camera? Do you still have that disk un reformated with that image. What happens if you try from a reader instead?

The forums I hangout at have reports of problems downloading direct from Canons, mainly with Lightroom.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    What software are you using. Apparently you are downloading directly from the Camera? Do you still have that disk un reformated with that image. What happens if you try from a reader instead?

The forums I hangout at have reports of problems downloading direct from Canons, mainly with Lightroom.

Don

I use Photoshop CS3. Download is directly from the camera to a folder. Folder to Photoshop CS3.
    Rich
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Do you use a USB or card reader?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Do you use a USB or card reader?

USB
    Rich
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Thy a card reader.
    It's considered best practice for memory card transfers. It protects your camera from possible voltage. It also doesn't rely on your cameras electronics to get the data off the card.

Anything is possible w/ electronics. But a card usually won't store half a good shot then just crap out of the rest of it.

Card readers only cost from 10bucks (low end) to 100 (high end) the only major difference is transfer speed. But when you get into high end, your shooting w/ some serious toys and have very expensive cards. I usually just take my 6GB and 4GB cards and start the Lr upload and walk away for a little bit to grab a bite or make calls etc. Then come back when the import is done.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thy a card reader.
    It's considered best practice for memory card transfers. It protects your camera from possible voltage. It also doesn't rely on your cameras electronics to get the data off the card.

Anything is possible w/ electronics. But a card usually won't store half a good shot then just crap out of the rest of it.

Card readers only cost from 10bucks (low end) to 100 (high end) the only major difference is transfer speed. But when you get into high end, your shooting w/ some serious toys and have very expensive cards. I usually just take my 6GB and 4GB cards and start the Lr upload and walk away for a little bit to grab a bite or make calls etc. Then come back when the import is done.
    This is the currently recomended practice, as stated. Save direct connection for tethered shooting. Besides, this way you can keep shooting while downloading.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    This is the currently recomended practice, as stated. Save direct connection for tethered shooting. Besides, this way you can keep shooting while downloading.

Don

I will do that and see what happens. Thank you.
    Rich
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 16, 2008
    I agree, use a card reader. 100%

Cameras are for taking pictures, and not meant for uploading.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin