Options

What color is 176 176 255

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in Finishing School
Ok, I'm doing some slide recreation (long story), but the colors seem to vary greatly between the two computers, so I'm tyring to figure out if I'm doing this right without taking the two to a projector (I know how one looks on a projector). The one I'm recreating from says 176 176 255, but that looks like a light purple in my head and on my laptop, but on the copy from laptop it looks like medium blue. Given that it also looks medium blue on a projector, I'm thinking either I'm looking at the wrong color setting or my monitor is off. Anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Ok, I'm doing some slide recreation (long story), but the colors seem to vary greatly between the two computers, so I'm tyring to figure out if I'm doing this right without taking the two to a projector (I know how one looks on a projector). The one I'm recreating from says 176 176 255, but that looks like a light purple in my head and on my laptop, but on the copy from laptop it looks like medium blue. Given that it also looks medium blue on a projector, I'm thinking either I'm looking at the wrong color setting or my monitor is off. Anybody know?

Nevermind, I was looking in the wrong place to find the color. You'd think background color would be the background color, but it was actually "line color."
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 16, 2008
    Here is 176 176 255 in sRGB via an attached file straight from Photoshop, a canvas filled with 176 176 255 - looks like a light blue to lavender to me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008

Numbers without a color space don't fully define a color! Until you define the color space, RGB or CMYK numbers are not fully defined so we can't answer the question. So, it appears your main problem is that of profiling the device which would define the numbers and the colors.

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 17, 2008
    Excellent point, Andrew, that I should have addressed more. I assumed sRGB, but should not have.

In regard to projector's colors, how many of us have profiled our projectors, or even chosen sRGB or aRGB for them in their set up software?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    In regard to projector's colors, how many of us have profiled our projectors, or even chosen sRGB or aRGB for them in their set up software?

Well I never do a presentation (using a single projector system) without building a profile for it using an EyeOne Beamer.

At least on a Mac, when you hook up a secondary product like a projector, a profile is downloaded from the device and automatically selected in Display's control panel. Often its awful! One can try reassigning sRGB to that device or better, create an actual profile of that device.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/