Options

Great Beaches for Engagement photos

ScojoProScojoPro Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 18, 2008 in Weddings
Hey everyone, just wanted to reach out and get some opinions on which beach is best for couple photography. I've heard that Laguna and Manhattan Beach Pier are great spots. Also, I would assume that weekends are out due to over-crowding unless you're there at the crack of dawn. Any experience to pass down? Anything is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    ScojoPro wrote:
    Hey everyone, just wanted to reach out and get some opinions on which beach is best for couple photography. I've heard that Laguna and Manhattan Beach Pier are great spots. Also, I would assume that weekends are out due to over-crowding unless you're there at the crack of dawn. Any experience to pass down? Anything is much appreciated.

In Corona Del Mar you need a permit from the city. They actually have people patrolling the beach. Otherwise it's an ideal location with nice rock formations.
  • Options
    PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Many beachs in California require permits. If you just go without professional looking bags you're less likely to get asked to stop. I bring my crumpler bag, which looks like a normal carry bag.:D
  • Options
    ScojoProScojoPro Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2008
    Thanks for heads up gentlemen. I'll do some recon at Laguna and Manhattan Beach for any photo-haters and I'll let you know. =)
  • Options
    fiatsurffiatsurf Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I've seen a number of wedding/engagement photographers at both the Newport and Huntington Beach piers... and no one's ever bugged me when I've been taking surf shots so don't think they check on licenses or anything (I'm licensed in Newport Beach but never have been asked in either city). Doesn't have the natural rock formations (unless you count the jetties in Newport :D) but the piers can be interesting backdrops (saw one guy doing some stuff while on-pier with the bride and groom down on the sand... he even got the crowd to cheer them on to get a better reaction when they kissed).
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Not a license...a permit
    fiatsurf wrote:
    (I'm licensed in Newport Beach but never have been asked in either city). .

To shoot at the State Beaches, you need a permit to use the public domain for any shoot you do if you are any way (even with a smugmug account) considered a pro. A license is just authorizing you to have a business in the city you have a business license from.

Here is a link to a very detailed article on Permits and public shooting locations.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/photo-permits/
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    fiatsurffiatsurf Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification and info. Very informative site.