dust specs inside the glass

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in Cameras
What's the experience here with how dust can enter a lens....is it from the manufacturer or can it enter at some later point? The lens in question is a zoom. Do manufacturer's warrantees cover this?

Comments

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    photodoug wrote:
    What's the experience here with how dust can enter a lens....is it from the manufacturer or can it enter at some later point? The lens in question is a zoom. Do manufacturer's warrantees cover this?

A zoom lens is continually changing volume; by doing this air must enter the lens when it gets longer and air must leave the lens when it gets shorter.

Air contains dust, and unless the "seals" are good filters, the dust will come in with the air. Some lenses seem to be more prone to collecting dust than others.

Dust in lenses pose an aesthetic problem to anyone that looks at the dust, but I suspect it would take a lot of dust to affect image quality.

Warranty claim? Could be, but I doubt it. Might be worth a try, but if the lens has collected dust once, how many more times will it continue to do so? - likely longer than the warranty period.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Not all the zoom lens change the volume inside the lens. Some of the lens have sealed rear glass and prevent the dust go in such as the Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

But most of other lens do have moving rear glass and it have a big gap when it move to tele position, such as the 24-105 F4 L IS and the old 70 -300 zoom lens.

Once dust went it, it is almost impossible to take it out by ourself. But it may be possible by $$$$$$$
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Any lens that changes volume either during focusing or zooming, will suck air if the lens volume increases, and will expel air if the lens volume decreases. It's an unavoidable result of the application of the gas laws of physics - we simply can't overcome them.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    photodoug wrote:

Good Afternoon,
    I know that Tamron will cover this under the warranty. I sent my 24-135 back to them 2x in a 2 yr period and both times it came back looking brand new. Dust btwn the first couple of elements has no effect on IQ, since these elements are used to gather light. I believe it's the rear elements that may show evidence of dust since they are used to focus the image.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Small dust inside the lens should not be visible in your prints. I wouldn't worry about it and just keep shooting.