Options

what am I doing wrong here..

brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited February 18, 2008 in Technique
All I wanted to do was take a picture of some roses in evening sunlight, but all the pictures came out overly saturated as you can see.

Nikon D50, 50mm 1.8 lens,

didnt matter what WB i used, and my tone was set to normal.

255294428_zf7Jj-M.jpg

255294724_B8mA3-M.jpg:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch
Nikon D50 brianhanley.com

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I think you've got over-exposure in the red channel, check histograms to confirm.

Re-shoot with a stop or two of negative compensation?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    if thats the case, what do i do to adjust it? thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Don't know which buttons to push on a Nikon, so I'll have to tell you to consult the manual.
    Should be under 'exposure compensation'. thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 17, 2008
    Red flowers are notorious for over exposing the red channels and blowing out the highlight detail.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Red flowers are notorious for over exposing the red channels and blowing out the highlight detail.

That and everything with direct sunlight mixed with shadowy areas - throws the metering off easily. Got both goin' on here :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    i tried to underexpose it and just got this..

ne_nau.gif

255294540_UbJnt-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

And it seems Nikon is notorious for oversaturating reds; I have the same problem with my D50. I fix it in PS.
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
    O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    These images look as though they were shot in direct sunlight, which I find is too harsh, and invariably gives me blown out areas or harsh shadows.

Years ago when Pop Photo was about the only magazine published on photography (early sixties - Ansel Adams often had articles in it), I read an article wherein the author recommended shooting flowers on a cloudy day, and if possible in the rain. Cloud softens the light, removing all harsh shadows, and raindrops are always interesting on the petals. It results in better colour saturation without the reflections that are difficult to control without blowing them out.

In my neck of the woods, we get all our rain in the winter when there are few flowers, and when we have oodles of flowers in the summer, it seldoms rains. So I opted for another solution - a diffuser - which I use to block direct sunlight on a flower, and since the kit also contains four reflective surfaces, I use it the reflecting surfaces when the sun is down to add some warm skylight to the image. I never even consider flowers without it - it would be waste of time for me (it will also block some wind).

http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/MultiDisc/index.html
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    i have had the same porbelm with my D50 and roses. Not the same lens, but the same idea. The second one looks worlds better. It's actually a very beautiful shot.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Just desaturate in PP. I have a Nikon D50 and it does the same thing on reds. A little negative saturation and it looks more natural and recovers some of the highlights. It's not an exposure problem or WB problem as much as saturation.

Here's a picture about the way it looked without desaturating.

236898167_CYuVq-L.jpg

Here's one taking the saturation out.

236898177_eKtqE-L.jpg

These I took more saturation out.

236808948_PTzNR-L.jpg

Out of the camera, they were really red and you couldn't see any pedal detail.