quick fix: bounce in a hurry

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in People
I just had to share this quick hack solution.

The other day I was about to feed our son and the sun came out, giving a nice shaft of light that fell across him and his highchair... the results were very nice, so I grabbed the camera and started shooting. Sadly as long as the sun was actually on his face he was very unhappy. So I pushed him back a couple inches to get him out of the direct light (which ruined the high key contrast I had going, but oh well, he was co-opperating and looking cute, so I wanted to get a shot to quell the complaints form the grand parents about the lack of images lately....). That however resulted in more shadow on the side of his face than I really wanted:

255232411_7xb6H-S.jpg

So I quickly looked around for a bounce... anything I could bounce off of to fill that in... Necessity being the mother of invention, and being in the kitchen.... (he did some navel gazing while I was searching and positioning)

255232564_Bm93x-S.jpg

The end result of which was much nicer:

255232241_A68ri-S.jpg
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    !!! Look at those cheeks!!!!!

Too cute, and the bounce was a good idea.

I keep several peices of foam core poster board around for the same reason.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    He is a doll! And good job with the bounce and the creativity!

BTW (on a non photographic note) What a cool highchair... they didn't have cool ones like that when my kids used them.... all of 3 years ago. Maybe it is just an Alaska thing.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 17, 2008
    BTW (on a non photographic note) What a cool highchair... they didn't have cool ones like that when my kids used them.... all of 3 years ago. Maybe it is just an Alaska thing.

I think it's the executive model.

Nice shooting, and great improvisation on the reflector. The photons don't know the difference...

Cheers,
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Yeah, I've got a couple three pieces of foam core for the same reason... but they were downstairs and I didn't want to leave Quinn to go fish them out.

(and no, it's not the executive model... but it was the only cherry wood option to be had... which I insisted on... enough brightly colored plastic junk in the house... I wanted something that actually went with my furniture.)

Thanks folks.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Cute boy!
    He looks a bit sleepy too!

cabbey wrote:
    Yeah, I've got a couple three pieces of foam core for the same reason... but they were downstairs and I didn't want to leave Quinn to go fish them out.

(and no, it's not the executive model... but it was the only cherry wood option to be had... which I insisted on... enough brightly colored plastic junk in the house... I wanted something that actually went with my furniture.)

Thanks folks.