Pop-up flash softbox adaptor

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in Holy Macro
I've been messing around trying to find a better way to use the on camera pop-up flash for light travel. Yesterday I made an adaptor that mounts on the camera pop-up flash, and I can mount my softbox from my off camera flash on to it. The Mrs. got some flowers for V-day, so I had to try it. Worked mostly on the yellow flowers since they are harder to capture without blowing out the colors with the flash. Seems like it will be ok.

Click for larger images

2271841156_69ba1704db.jpg

2271048273_9799e9b3c4.jpg

2271046337_45e4c7a63f.jpg

2271840036_d905b6698e.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Seems like it will be ok.

It sure does - those are very nice.

What does this gizmo look like?

Another wee question - what f/stops were you using?
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Glenn NK wrote:
    It sure does - those are very nice.

What does this gizmo look like?

Another wee question - what f/stops were you using?

Glenn,

It's basically a heay cardboard rectangle that simulates the end of my off camera flash. I made a hole in the back for the flash to get through, and for now it's being held onto the popup flash with rubber bands (I want to put some velcro on it once I get it straightened out). Once it's attached to the popup flash, I simply velcro'd my Lumiquest softbox to the end of it. All shots here were taken at F8 (I think). I haven't shot any bugs with it yet (still winter here), so the jury is still out, but hopefully it will be easier to move around than the bracket and off camera flash. Spring will tell.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    I've been messing around trying to find a better way to use the on camera pop-up flash for light travel. Yesterday I made an adaptor that mounts on the camera pop-up flash, and I can mount my softbox from my off camera flash on to it. The Mrs. got some flowers for V-day, so I had to try it. Worked mostly on the yellow flowers since they are harder to capture without blowing out the colors with the flash. Seems like it will be ok.

Click for larger images

Nice work Gary, these do look good, least it leaves you with room to go lighter in post processing if you want.

The second shot, looking at the larger image, not the smaller one posted on the thread, has very nice lighting.

Your on to something with this little invention Gary ... Good For You clap.gif
    Very very pleasing results, bet your really happy with these.

Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin