Options

Review: MaxMax IR-Only Conversion of Canon 20D

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 3, 2008 in Cameras
If this isn't in the right forum, please move it. I thought it would relate best to other IR photogs....

The following is a quick review of the MaxMax (www.maxmax.com) 830nm IR conversion of a Canon 20D camera.

Background: Ever since the Glacier Shootout I've been wanting an IR converted camera. Fellow DGrinner, aktse (April), let me use her converted Canon XT (715nm) for an entire day. I had such a great time with it that I was instantly hooked!

Some short time ago I found myself with three cameras and I only needed two for the work I do. Time to get the third one converted! First I sent the 20D to Canon to get the focus calibrated as I wanted to make sure that all was working to specification before I sent it to MaxMax. When it came back I tested that the focus had, indeed, been corrected. All was good so I shipped it off to MaxMax with the required note outlining that I wanted the 830nm conversion. My decision for this (vs. the 715nm conversion, which is what April had) was based on this statement on the MaxMax website
The advantage of a 830nm filter is that the red, green and blue channels are more evenly exposed than at 715nm. ... When you more evenly expose the RGB channels, the camera can resolve better. Also, the infrared effect is more dramatic at 830nm versus 715nm - skies are darker and clouds whiter.

Emphasis is mine.

What I didn't realize at the time is what, exactly, an evenly exposed RGB channel would mean (and, don't get me wrong, I love the results!).

Anyway, here's the histogram (from ACR 4.3.1) showing the exposure RGB curves before and after only setting a custom white balance.
255484523_BCFtw-X3.jpg

These are the resulting images (before any PP has been done):
255495595_wqoet-L.jpg

The interesting thing is that, no matter where you click with your ACR White Balance Tool, the above is the result you get (at least within less than 0.1% difference per channel).

Some things I learned as a result of all this:
  • What you see may not be what your sensor sees. I was shooting in what I thought was pretty dim light, near sunset. But, the IR sensitive sensor saw a lot more light that I would have guessed.
  • The 830nm conversion results in almost exactly a 2-stop impact on exposure as compared to a visible light exposure. That value changes a bit, depending on what you are shooting, grass and other green stuff reflects more IR than does, for example, dirt or portions of the sky.
  • I found shooting manual was the easiest way to get the right exposure. Initial set up was to set aperture/shutter combination such that you would get about +1 2/3 "over-exposed". Take the shot. Check the histogram and find that the shot was usually somewhere between "good" and 1 stop under-exposed. Adjust exposure and shoot again. Usually, my second shot would be within 1/3 stop of being very good.
  • Unless I'm missing something in my conversion process (and the odds are better than even that I am :D), if you want any chance at false colors in your IR photos, you want something other than the 830nm conversion.
  • When MaxMax does the conversion, they remove the ICF/AA filter(s). The AA filter is something the manufacturer puts in the light path to the sensor to actually blur the photo. Why do camera manufacturers do this? Because, without it, when a photographer shoots something with lots of parallel lines, they will more likely get unsightly moiré patterns in their photos. The AA filter reduces, but does not eliminate, the incidence of these patterns. Net result, when shooting anything not containing a series of parellel lines, the potential for a very sharp photo is greatly enhanced and your need for sharpening during post processing is greatly reduced.

The following are a just a couple of shots I got yesterday:
255474520_GbLYL-L.jpg

255474573_XewjH-L.jpg

255474599_TV4ur-L.jpg

4. Some green and yellow plants, up close, just to show that these really are IR photos :D
255474450_y8yqA-L.jpg
As you can see, we had mostly clear skies so no dramatic dark skies with huge white clouds :cry but it was still a lot of fun.

Comments, critic, and corrections are welcomed and encouraged.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Can Schmoo put this on our reviews site? ear.gif

:smo
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Sure. That would be cool!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Good stuff Scott clap.gif I read about that differences too,
    and wondered who might have the other filter, and you do now :D

Thanks for the examples and information.

Now there will be no stopping you with IR shots.
    Have fun thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Howdy Scott,

This looks neat, I will be looking forward to seeing your shots and progression.

I have been thinking about a solid B&W Mod, but hate to give up the
    false color.

Thanks for sharing.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Good stuff Scott clap.gif I read about that differences too,
    and wondered who might have the other filter, and you do now :D

Thanks for the examples and information.

Now there will be no stopping you with IR shots.
    Have fun thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Except life keeps getting in the way. Would you believe that I've not gone out shooting since that posting?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I'm on it :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I give up. Where on the maxmax site can I find the price for converting my 20D? How do I send it in? Seriously, the maxmax site suxsux. It's a navigational nightmare. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I give up. Where on the maxmax site can I find the price for converting my 20D? How do I send it in? Seriously, the maxmax site suxsux. It's a navigational nightmare. ne_nau.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Total cost varies by camera, but for the DSLR cameras, the conversion cost is $450 + return S&H. If you live in the domestic USA, add $20 for UPS insured ground return shipping."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

http://www.maxmax.com/IRCameraConversions.htm Towards the bottom of the page. Agreed, finding info on there takes a little patience. :D

[/FONT]
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    "[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Total cost varies by camera, but for the DSLR cameras, the conversion cost is $450 + return S&H. If you live in the domestic USA, add $20 for UPS insured ground return shipping."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

http://www.maxmax.com/IRCameraConversions.htm Towards the bottom of the page. Agreed, finding info on there takes a little patience. :D

[/FONT]

I looked that page over and over. Terrible design. You'd think they'd want to make a sale!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I had my F717 done by Dan twice - once before the recall and after Sony replaced the sensor core. He's great to work with. Just give him a call if the website leaves you wondering about stuff.

Hey Scott - now that you're hooked on daylight, have fun with flashes - it creates a whole new arena for infrared!

I was shooting an event that was taking place in the Batcave (not really, but it was just as dark as the Batcave) and lit by incandescent lights. I knew it was waaay too dark for my ISO800 and F2.8 so I whipped out the F717 and Bazingo - nice shutter speeds and great focus.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Except life keeps getting in the way. Would you believe that I've not gone out shooting since that posting?

Howdy Scott,

That is totally unacceptable to have a new Modded camera an not use it.

Just go ahead and box it up and send it to Skippy to practice with and she'll bring it with her when she comes to the States in the Fall!!!

Come on Scott get out there and shoot something:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    I sincerely apologize for the lengthy delay, but the review is finally up! I hope it was worth the wait. Scott's images are really gorgeous! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I sincerely apologize for the lengthy delay, but the review is finally up! I hope it was worth the wait. Scott's images are really gorgeous! thumb.gif
    Thanks for the overly kind words, schmoo. Gorgeous, I don't know about that, but they are sufficient to the task.